Chapter 09

Elinor's POV:

When we arrived at CQ, I rushed out of the car, my tears streaming down my cheeks, my heart heavy, and all I could think about was him. 

"Mother Josefina, may aampon pa po kaya saakin? Pakiramdam ko po kasi wala eh..."

"Whose child is that? over my dead body that we would accept her as our granddaughter and part of our family!"

I bumped into several people inside the bar, and they all complained, but I didn't mind them and continued running to find him.

"What does it feel like to be part of the Walter Empire even though you're just adopted? Ms. Elinor? Can you hear me?"

"Mr. August Walter and Mrs. Arabella Walter adopted a child from the orphanage. And she's going to inherit one of the companies? I heard that the elders were not happy about this."

I covered my ears and kept running until I bumped into someone, and I was about to run away when he suddenly grabbed me, and I shrieked in shock, and my hands were shaking because of nervousness.

"Eli? Is that you?" My eyes widened when I heard that voice and I immediately hugged him.

"Claude..." My voice broke and he hugged me tight.

"Shush... I'm here now..." He said while caressing my hair.

Just by hearing him say that, I calmed down, and I felt more at peace in his arms than being around my family. I don't understand why I'm being like this; we only just met, but I feel so attached to him, and why did he suddenly become my comfort person?

Am I starting to like him?

No... I can't be. I'm too busy for love.

I suddenly pushed him away and was about to walk away when he grabbed my hand, and I stopped, and my heart started racing so fast. "Where are you going? Are you okay?" He asked,I sighed and looked at him, and I saw care and affection in his eyes, the way he looks at me.

"I-I'm sorry..." I said and he frowned.

"Why are you saying sorry? It's not your fault. And it's fine; I don't mind, and you can cry all you want if that's what will make you feel better." He softly said.

I smiled. "Let's get out of here?" I said and he frowned.

"Why? Do you want to... you know?" He said and I laughed.

"No! Ang dumi ng utak mo!" Natatawang sabi ko.

"I'm sorry; I thought of that. I might have offended you. I'm really sorry." He said and I smiled.

"It's fine! Let's go!" Sabi ko at hinatak siya palabas ng bar niya.

"Wait! I don't have my car right now; I only have my motorcycle. Is that okay with you?" He said and I nodded.

"That's fine!" Sabi ko.

Inabot niya saakin ang isang helmet at sumakay na sa likuran niya at humawak sa may bewang niya at mabilis naman niyang pinaandar ang motor.

"Where do you want to go?" Pasigaw na sabi niya at nagkibit balikat lang ako.

"I don't know. I'm just looking for some peace of mind." Sabi ko at mas hinigpitan pa ang hawak sakanya at sinandal ko ang ulo ko sa likuran niya.

For the first time in my life, I feel at peace and away from all of my problems in life, and finally I don't feel alone and I feel safe in his hands. I can feel the chilly breeze of the night, and it somehow made me feel comfort.

We came to a hill, where I can see the lights of the city, and the wind is blowing through my hair, which feels so nice.

I sat on the grass when he suddenly tapped my shouder. "Don't sit on there, here." Sabi niya at naglatag ng tela para doon ako umupo at medyo malaki din ito kaya kasya kaming dalawa.

"What is this place? I like it here." I said while not keeping my eyes off the view and he smiled.

"This is actually a secret place; this is where I go to clear my mind, and I discovered this place when I was still in college. But now this land is mine; I bought it, so I can come here whenever I want." He said and I nodded.

"Wow, yaman ah." Natatawang sabi ko at napailing naman siya.

"Coming from you." He said and we bot chuckled.

We both went quiet and just kept on admiring the view, and I hugged myself when I felt a little chilly, and he noticed it, and he suddenly stood up and took something from the compartment under the seat of his motorcycle.

Nilagay niya sa likuran ko ang isang kumot at nginitian ko naman siya. "Thanks." Sabi ko.

"Always welcome." He winked.

We both looked at the view again, and all we can hear is the sound of the wind, which is somehow comforting, so I closed my eyes and sighed. I hope every day can feel like this.

"Are you okay?" He suddenly asked and I stopped and bit my lower lip.

"To be honest, I'm not." I said and he looked at me with so much emotions in his eyes.

"Care to share? If you're comfortable with it, and if you're not, that's fine; you don't have to tell me anything, and let's just enjoy the view until you feel better." He said and I smiled.

"Can I vent?" I said and he nodded.

"Sure, I'll listen." He said and gave me an reassuring smile.

I told him everything, and he just sat there beside me while listening. I inhaled some air when I could feel my tears falling, and he handed me a handkerchief.

"You can cry all you want. I'm here for you, always. We'll get through this together." He said and I forced a smile, and my tears started streaming down my face, and he placed my head on his shoulder and caressed my back.

My chest feels heavy, but his words and voice feel like they calm me down, and I kept crying and telling him everything, including how my grandparents treat me and about Cleo.

"Forgive me for saying this, but your family doesn't deserve you. You are a very kind and smart woman. I don't know why they treat you like that, and they should be thankful to have a daughter like you." He said and I weakly smiled.

"It just feels like all my hard work for them to be proud of me is all a waste, and I sacrificed a lot just for them to finally notice and be proud of me... I don't know which part I did wrong." I said.

"You didn't do anything wrong. You did everything you could, and it's not you who's the problem; it's them." He said and I sighed.

"I really appreciate you being here for me and listening to me. Thank you." I said and he smiled.

"You deserve the whole world." Sabi niya at inipit ang strand ng buhok sa likod ng tenga dahil nakaharang na ito sa mukha ko.

"You deserve it more." I said and he suddenly stopped and smiled widely.

He opened his arms and signaled for me to get closer to him, so I did, and I hugged him tightly.

I've spent my entire life wandering and seeking solace in everyone and everything, but for the past several years, I've only found solace in his arms. His hugs are my definition of warmth and comfort.

The wind is cold, but it's warm in his arms.

-----