Chapter 11

Elinor's POV:

"Dad says you need to go to his birthday party tonight, whether you like it or not." Cleo said and I rolled my eyes.

"No! I don't care what he says!" I exclaimed and she raised her eyebrow.

"I told you we don't have a choice, and he won't listen to me, and I won't cover up for you." She said and I sighed.

"Whatever." I coldly said and rolled my eyes and she smiled.

"So, you're going?" She asked and I slightly nodded.

"Yeah, and stop bothering me or else I'll change my mind." I said and she instantly walked away.

I saw Jessa look at me, and she looks like she has a question mark on her face. I just rolled my eyes and raised my eyebrows, and she silently gasped, looked at Cleo, and went back to what she was doing.

"Cleo, come here. Please help me with this, and Jessa, tell Mrs. Valdez that I'll be sending Cleo to our meeting later because I'm busy." I said and Jessa instantly dialed on the telephone beside her.

"Here are the papers; return them to me in an hour after you have finished signing them." I said and stood up on my seat because I have a meeting and Jessa also stood up to go with me.

"K." Cleo said and took the papers while putting her phone in her pocket.

After my meeting, I went back to my office to check if Cleo was done, and it looks like she was. It was also time for my break, so I went to a café and ordered myself some coffee and a slice of cake.

I was busy sipping on my coffee when suddenly my phone rang, and I could already feel myself smiling when I saw that it was Claude.

"Good afternoon. You told me you'd call me last night, but you didn't." I pouted and chuckled.

"I'm sorry, I fell asleep early. But I'm calling you now." He said and I frowned.

"Why do you sound so strange? Are you sick? You sound funny." I said and I heard him clear his throat.

"What do you mean? I don't." He said and I sighed.

"You're so bad at lying I know how your voice sounds." I said and I heard him sigh.

"I'm not sick. I just have a sore throat, but it'll be gone because I already drank some medicine." He said and I frowned.

"No, sore throat don't sound like that. Text me your address I'll come over." I said and I heard some noises.

"What? Trust me, I'm fine Elinor." He assured but I still don't believe him.

"Claude." I coldly said his name.

"Fine, I'll text you my house address." He said.

"Great. I'll be there in a few minutes." I said.

After he texted me his address I quickly went to the parking lot to get my car to drive over to his place.

Claude's POV:

I'm not sick. I just cried a lot last night because after I drove Elinor back to her place, my parents texted me saying that they wanted to see me right now, and I thought maybe they wanted to talk or apologize because this is the first time they texted me saying they wanted to see me, so I quickly drove over to our house, but instead of hearing an apology, I heard insults.

They even threatened me that they would do everything they could so CQ would fall and I'd be left with nothing. But it looks like they kept their word because my secretary urgently called me last night because she said some investors have been pulling out of their investments and stocks were going down. I immediately took action, but it wasn't enough because my family is more than what people think of. They're powerful.