First Time Dad

Trevor zoned out on his wife's midsection as she spoke to him. He wasn't really processing much that was said, and she realized that.

"Babe," Alex spoke, as she sank down onto her husband's lap and gently caressed his cheek." Did you hear me?"

Trevor looked up and locked eyes with his wife, before shaking his head.

"I-i don't think so."

"I just told you I'm pregnant, Trev. It finally worked," Alex smiled, as tears welled in her blue eyes. Her glasses quickly got steamy, so she pulled them off and continued to smile.

"Finally," Trevor whispered with a shaky smile.

///

Trevor and Alex had been married for a few years, but had been together for ten years before that. For the last 8 years, they had been trying to have a baby. Now that Alex was pregnant, Trevor didn't know what to say or do. He was scared that this would end just like Alex's last pregnancy.

"Langan?" Olivia asked as she knocked on his office door. Trevor blinked a few times before looking over at his wife's best friend.

"Hey, Liv. What can I help you with?" He sighed softly.

"I came to drop off a few files... is everything okay?" She questioned. Trevor stood and walked over to Olivia before reaching behind her and grabbing his door and closing it. 

"Liv, you can't tell a soul... and act surprised when Alex tells you," Trevor breathed, as he moved back to his desk and sank down on the edge of it.

"Trevor-"

"Alex is pregnant. She told me this weekend, and we got it confirmed during our lunch break. In thirty-three weeks, we will have a baby." 

Olivia's lips moved into an enormous smile that lit up her entire face. She stepped towards her friend and hugged his tall frame.

"This is great news, Trev! You and Alex are going to make the cutest baby!" Olivia exclaimed before leaning back and locking eyes with Trevor. 

Instead of seeing intense happiness, she saw fear. So much fear.

"Trev-"

"Thanks for the files. I will see you around," Trevor spoke, quickly dismissing Olivia and shaking from her embrace.

"Trevor-"

"Goodbye, Detective."

///

Trevor's fear didn't fade as the weeks went by. He didn't care that his wife's waist swelled as their little one grew bigger and stronger. All he could see was the sweat covered skin and blood when his wife lost their baby before. He wanted to be excited, but he couldn't push himself past this struggle.

"Love?" Trevor spoke softly as he opened the door to their baby's nursery. Alex had been making this her project since they put her on maternity leave, and she wouldn't let her husband look at it until she gave him permission to.

"Hi! I see you got my text," Alex chuckled softly, from where she was sitting in the rocking chair with a small pair of overalls resting against her swollen midsection.

"I did... uh, so is it done?" Trevor asked nervously, and his wife nodded quickly. She went to stand before sighing and reaching her hands out to her husband.

"I think I may need your assistance."

Trevor got his wife to her feet before turning away, before her belly could even come close to touching him. He looked around their room before stopping when his eyes landed on the wooden letters above the crib.