News Coverage

This one shot doesn't go by the show's timeline.

He felt his wife's hand gently run over his exposed abs. Her head was resting against his shoulder, and her breathing was still even. After years of being married, she always woke him up long before she woke up herself.

His eyes fluttered open, and he blinked against the bright early morning sun. Last night, they had been enjoying the stars from the bedroom of their home in Italy and had forgotten to close the blinds before falling asleep. Elliot glanced down at his wife and smiled, before placing a soft kiss on her soft blonde hair. He pulled her close for a long moment, enjoying the way she held onto him, before slipping out of bed and getting ready for the day.

Elliot made his rounds and checked on Eli and then the twins. Dickie and Lizzie had just graduated from college and were spending their summer in Italy with them. Once he knew the kids were all fine, Elliot pulled on a pair of shorts, a tank top, and sneakers. He grabbed a bottle of water and put his ear buds in before heading out for a run.

The sun was bright, but the warmth was welcomed. He had been so used to running through all seasons of New York City that these early morning trips around their city brought him a whole new love for the country he and Kathy now call home.

"You should have woken me up, El. I would have gone with you this morning," Kathy smiled the moment her husband walked into the kitchen. Elliot grabbed the towel he left on the counter and wiped his face off before leaning in and kissing his wife softly.

"Kath, we have been here for how many years? And every single year you have yet to go for a run with me," Elliot chuckled. He wrapped her in a tight hug as the sound of Eli's alarm went off.

"Eli is going to be out of the house for the day, and the twins have errands to run... Maybe you and I can head back to our bedroom and enjoy alone time together? I'll get just as sweaty in there compared to if we went for a run," Kathy growled into her husband's neck. 

Elliot blushed at his wife's words, but didn't have time to respond. His three youngest kids were filtering into the kitchen, all looking for breakfast and money for their day.

///

Plans changed, and Kathy ended up going shopping with Lizzie. Elliot had the house to himself, and he sat down with a magazine and listened to the TV in the background. He got bored quickly and flipped to one channel he had to watch news from the US. The moment he flipped the channel, the story changed and Olivia's picture caught his attention.

He quickly turned up the volume as a voice spoke.

"We have received reports that one of NYPD's own officers is missing. Detective Olivia Benson, the picture on your screen, was reported missing this morning. It appears to be a kidnapping, and the only person of interested at this moment is William Lewis. His picture is up on your screen right now," the reporter spoke.

Elliot slid to the edge of the couch and swallowed hard as tears burned his eyes.

"William Lewis was last seen at the Manhattan courthouse, and he is armed and dangerous. If you have any information regarding this case, please call the number below. The NYPD needs their detective back, and we want her back safely."

Elliot scrubbed a hand down his face as tears slipped down his cheeks. Right now, all he could think about was Olivia laying dead in some abandoned house, and that no one would find her. He needed to find her before that bastard does anything to her.

Elliot rushed from his home and to the mall that Kathy and Lizzie were planning on shopping in. It took over an hour to find them, and once he did, he didn't know what to say.

"Kath!"

"El? What are you doing here?" Kathy asked as she turned away from a rack of shirts. Lizzie was in the far back corner, her eyes examining a purse.

"I'm going to New York," Elliot blurted.

"New York? Why? Is your mother okay?"

"Ma is fine, Kath... It's Liv," Elliot whimpered.

"Olivia? What's wrong now?" Kathy sighed. Elliot hated his wife sounded annoyed, especially right now. Kathy didn't know what was happening with Olivia, but would regret her tone the moment she was aware.

"I was watching the news, Kathy. Olivia was kidnapped last night from her apartment," I explained.

"K-kidnapped?"

"Yes, Kathy. Kidnapped. Olivia is missing, and no one knows where she is. All they know is the key suspect is some man named William Lewis. So I'm going to get a ticket and head to New York. I can help them find her, because I know exactly what she will do to get free. So-"

"Elliot, you left Olivia when we moved. I get things are scary and all, but we can't just go back. She probably won't even want to see you when she is found, because you abandoned her. We left for a good reason, but I doubt she feels the same. So please, just go home and relax. I'm sure they will find her soon," Kathy spoke.

Elliot wanted to yell at her and tell her he was going with or without her, yet he kept his cool and nodded. He placed a soft kiss to her temple and walked from the store.

///

Elliot ended up going to Manhattan without his wife's permission. He was making the trip quick, and he only left after finding out that Olivia was alive and in the safety of a hospital.

"She will kill you if she finds out you are here," Fin mumbled, when he saw Elliot standing outside of Olivia's room. His eyes were locked to her face as she slept.

"She won't find out, Fin. I'm leaving," Elliot sighed.

"So you-"

"I just needed to see her with my own eyes, Fin. I needed to be absolutely certain that she was actually alive... so I'm gone," Elliot breathed. He turned and walked away as tears slipped down his cheeks.

The moment he landed in the US, Elliot knew that leaving this time around would be harder. He knew Olivia may need him, but he was far from ready to give her the support she required.