Teenagers

Here you go DescendantsLove8! Hope you all enjoy!

Alex was just unlocking the front door to the brownstone when she heard arguing from inside her home. As usual, her husband and daughter were getting into it. This time, she didn't know if it was over her half-assed job doing chores, or maybe she got in trouble at school. Either way, they didn't sound happy at all.

"Charlotte Langan, lose your attitude! My word is final, so get over it!" Trevor yelled, as Alex stepped into the house. Standing at the bottom of the staircase was Trevor, while Charlotte stood on the landing, her face red and her glasses foggy from crying.

"I hate you!" Charlotte screamed, before turning and stomping up the stairs. Trevor went to go after her, but Alex rushed to his side and grabbed his arm.

"Don't go after her, Trev. Let her go cool off, and you should do the same," Alex breathed, a soft smile on her lips.

"I will not cool off, Alexandra! She is going to get herself into some pretty deep trouble, and there is going to be nothing we can do to help her!" Trevor yelled. He shook his arm from his wife's grip before stomping off in the direction of his office. 

Alex waited quietly and heard the office door slammed, before sighing. In this moment, she wished she hadn't stayed a little later at work. Maybe if she had gone home sooner, Trevor and Charlotte wouldn't have gotten into such an intense argument without a buffer to help ease the tension.

///

No one came to dinner that night, so Alex ate alone. She made up plates for her daughter and husband, but didn't know who to talk to first. Eventually she decided on Charlotte, so she climbed the stairs and slowly walked down the hall to where Charlotte's teal painted door was shut and locked.

"Lottie? Can you open up, please?" Alex asked softly, after she had knocked on the door.

"Go. Away!" Charlotte sniffled from the other side of the door.

"Babe-"

"You are just going to yell at me like Daddy did! Leave me alone!" Charlotte yelled. Alex cringed at the shrillness of her daughter's voice, but still grabbed the keys from her pocket and unlocked her daughter's door.

"I will not yell at you, sweetie. I just want to talk," Alex spoke, as she opened the door.

"Why would you just unlock my door when I don't want you in here? What happened to allowing me to have privacy when I want it?!" Charlotte yelled.

Alex sighed and shut the door before wandering over to the bed. She placed a plate of dinner on the foot of the bed before walking over and grabbing her daughter's computer chair. She turned it to face her daughter as Charlotte looked at her hands.

"What were you and Daddy fighting about?" Alex questioned.

"That is none of your-"

"You are my child, Charlotte. Whatever you and your father are fighting about is my business. So tell me what the fight was about so I can help! Don't you want me to help get your father's head out of his ass?" Alex smiled. Charlotte didn't even crack a smile as she finally looked at her mother.

"Daddy won't let me go to junior prom..." Charlotte trailed off.

"You are a freshman, Charlotte. So I'm assuming that is why-"

"Davey Quinn invited me as his date to the prom. He's a junior, and we've been friends for years, Mama! So I asked if I could go with him, but Daddy said no! I really like Davey, and I don't want to say no to him!" Charlotte yelled.

Alex sighed softly and realized what was happening. Their only child was growing up and maturing before their eyes. Trevor was worried about what prom would lead to, and if Charlotte would be too busy dating and hanging out at the mall to spend time with them anymore. 

"You are our little girl, Lottie. You have showed no interest in dating until today..." Alex trailed off.

"I have though, Mama. The last thing I wanted to do was tell you and Daddy about the boys I have crushes on. I knew he'd react like he did tonight, so I'm-" Charlotte started, but Alex stopped her.

"Do you want to go to prom?" Alex breathed.

"I really do, Mama. I wanna go with Davey so bad!"

"Let me talk to your father, and we can go from there. Okay?"

"Please let me go!" Charlotte exclaimed. Alex sighed softly before standing and walking to her daughter. 

She kissed her messy blonde hair before smiling.

"Let me see what I can do. Just eat your dinner and go to bed."

///

Trevor didn't come to bed until nearly midnight. When he walked into the bedroom he shared with his wife, he found her still sitting up in bed. She was scrolling through prom dresses for their child.

"What are you still doing up?" Trevor grumbled.

"We need to talk, babe."

"I don't feel like-"

"She's growing up, Trevor. There is nothing we can do to stop it, unfortunately. I get everything is scary since once she grows up we don't have another baby... but that doesn't change the fact we need to help her out. And Davey Quinn has grown up with Charlotte. They have been friends for so long, and I think this will be okay." 

"This will not be okay, Alex. The last thing I want is for Charlotte to go off and get hurt!" Trevor cried. 

"Getting hurt is a part of growing up, baby. We can be here for her when it happens, and love her through every heartbreak and happy day she has. That is our job as parents. Okay?"

"What if Davey... what if he kisses her or something?" Trevor breathed. He felt sick to his stomach the moment he spoke those words.

"If she consents to being kissed, then that's fine. And she'll come to us if she decides she is ready to have sex, and I'll help her get on birth control and make sure she has condoms. We can't control her life, Trev... even if we want to. All we can do is love her and hopefully not push her away," Alex breathed, before reaching out to her husband.

Trevor sank down beside her on the bed and they shared a few kisses before he rested his head on her shoulder.

"Do you think if she had been a boy, that this would be easier?" Trevor asked. Alex laughed and shook her head.

"I don't think so, baby. Now, go get ready for bed. We need to be in a good place in the morning because you have some serious apologizing to do. Let alone figure out how to scare Davey."