The Surge

He smiled when the bell dinged and she walked through the door and into the restaurant. He stood slowly and waved her over to his booth.

"I'm so glad you came," Elliot smiled as he drew Olivia into a tight hug. 

"It's rare when my best friend comes into the city for more than a few hours," Olivia replied, as she leaned back and looked at Elliot. His face was covered in a thick beard, and his eyes had started to fade. Olivia could sense that something was wrong with her best friend, but she couldn't put her finger on it.

"Sit, please. I'm starving and I think we should have milkshakes and fries," Elliot grinned, as he let his hands drop to Olivia's ass and winked at her.

"You are such a flirt," Olivia said with a roll of her eyes and a shove to his chest.

The duo sat on opposite sides of the table, drank milkshakes, and ate fries together. As the evening progressed, Olivia grabbed Elliot's hand and gave him a concerned look.

"Are you okay, El? I haven't heard from you in a while, and I'm worried," Olivia whispered.

"I'm good, Liv. Being a grandfather keeps me incredibly busy," Elliot replied.

"Is that all? Are you seeing someone?" Olivia asked.

"No, I'm still single. I do have a thing for this woman who loves eating the last fry without asking if I want it first," Elliot replied, and Olivia rolled her eyes as she gave his hand a tight squeeze.

"You had started to slow down, so I took it," Olivia smiled.

"Liv, do you ever wonder what would have happened if we got together?" Elliot asked as he kept a grip on Olivia's hand. He didn't want her to pull away right now.

"When we were younger or now?"

"Either, Liv. Tell me what you think would have happened," Elliot smiled, as he grabbed his milkshake with his other hand and took a sip.

"If we got together when we were younger, I think we would have had a baby together. We would hate each other after sleepless nights, but would still love each other. If we were to get together now, we would date until we either get tired of each other or die. We'd spend nights snuggled in bed together, you telling me stories of your adventures in being a grandfather," Olivia smiled.

"Would you like to spend the night with me?" Elliot asked.

"What do you mean?" Olivia mused.

"One night together before we get too old and wrinkly that it's not fun anymore," Elliot grinned, his faded blue eyes sparkling. Olivia took a shaky breath as her cheeks grew red. 

"Will it make you think of me any differently if we have sex? I might not be as great as you think," Olivia whispered.

"I think it'll be the best thing to happen to me, Liv. C'mon, one night of lovemaking is all I'm asking."

///

Elliot placed light kisses on Olivia's bare shoulder as they lay together in her bed. For the first time, they gave in to the feelings they had for each other. They had known each other for over twenty years, and never once did they cross the line that they just did.

"You've gotten skinny," Olivia spoke as she ran her hand over Elliot's chest.

"I'm getting old," Elliot replied softly.

"Are you sure that everything is okay? Have you seen a doctor about losing weight?" Olivia questioned.

"I'm good, Liv. And I feel like I'll be living on this high for the rest of my life. I got to see what is underneath all of those blazers and black slacks, and I couldn't be more impressed with how absolutely beautiful you are," Elliot spoke, as he leaned close and stole a kiss from Olivia's lips.

"Do you wanna go again or just go to bed? I'm up for either," Olivia breathed.

"The drive here was long, so I'm pretty tired. Can we just enjoy being in each other's arms?"

"That sounds amazing, El. I love you," Olivia whispered.

"I love you too."

///

Olivia was sitting in her office a few days after she and Elliot made love when her phone rang. She smiled when she saw Elliot's picture and quickly answered it.

"Hey there, handsome," Olivia spoke.

"Liv, it's Maureen."

Olivia sat up straighter and took a shaky breath.

"Mo? Is everything okay? Why are you calling me on your father's phone?" Olivia asked.

"Dad passed away last night," Maureen breathed. Olivia felt her chest tighten as tears burned her eyes.

"W-what? I saw him a few days ago, and he was doing good! We ate fries and drank milkshakes and then we..." Olivia trailed off.

"He never told you he was sick?" Maureen asked, ignoring the fact her father and Olivia must have had sex.

"No, he didn't," Olivia frowned, as tears escaped down her cheeks.

"He had stage four leukemia and was on hospice. When he told us he went into the city to see you, we assumed it was to say goodbye and tell you. He had a burst of energy, a surge of some sort, and was using it to see you. I'm so sorry-"

"No, Mo. I'm sorry, so sorry. How are you guys holding up?" Olivia asked as she stood and shut her office door before brushing tears from her cheeks.

"It's a lot harder since we lost mom and now dad. I'm going to send you a box he left for you, and please come down for the funeral. We'd love to see you," Maureen spoke.

"I'd love to see you guys, too. Please tell me if you need anything."

///

Olivia sat down in the center of her bed and slowly opened the box that Elliot had left for her. Inside, she found a few of his t-shirts sealed tightly in zipped bags, his badge, and a bottle of his cologne. Olivia cried as she ran her fingers over the items her best friend had picked carefully for her. At the bottom of the box, Olivia grabbed a letter that Elliot had written.

Olivia,

The night we spent together was beautiful. I can't stop thinking about how soft your skin was and the way my hands memorized all of your curves. You let me die happy, and I'm so thankful to you.

Being your friend for the past few decades has been amazing. You dealt with the darkest of cases with such grace and always made everyone feel comfortable. The moment we met, I knew you were special and I'm lucky that you got to be my person. 

I'm sorry that I never got to tell you about the cancer, but I didn't want to ruin what we had going. The last thing I wanted was to make you cry, so one last night of pure happiness is what I wanted. I wish we had gotten together when we were younger because I couldn't stop myself from thinking about how beautiful our kids would have been. 

I love you, Olivia. You are strong and will make it through my death. It may seem like nothing will get better, but it will. You are strong, but don't push your grief down until it eats you alive.

El