Liv and Bernie

Olivia stood in front of her bathroom mirror and took a shaky breath. She was very nervous about her plans for the day, even if Elliot told her there was nothing to worry about. 

"Gonna head out soon?" Elliot asked as he opened the bathroom door and leaned against it. 

"Are you sure she'll enjoy spending the day with me? Elliot, I'm no Kathy," Olivia whispered, tears in her eyes. She quickly blinked them away before turning to look at her boyfriend.

"No, you aren't Kathy. But she loves you, Liv. Even if Kathy and I were together for most of our adult life, she knows you are my future," Elliot replied, taking a few steps toward Olivia. He rested his hand on her waist and pulled her close, before pressing a light kiss to her lips.

"I'm still so nervous. We haven't spent time alone together, and now I'm spending all day with her. What if she hates me after today?" Olivia whispered.

"She won't hate you. You are an amazing woman, and today will be fun. She wants to go to the farmer's market to pick up stuff for dinner tonight. You'll help her cook and-"

"I suck at cooking! That is going to kill our relationship!" Olivia cried. All she wanted to do was lay down and forget about her plans for the day.

"Oh, Olivia. Everything will be okay. I love you, and so does Ma. Now, go get your jacket on and head out. She's waiting for you."

///

The drive to the farmer's market was quiet. Bernie was awkwardly scrolling through the phone that Elliot insisted on getting her, even if she didn't want it at all. No matter what conversation Olivia tried to start, Bernie ignored her. 

"Here we are," Olivia spoke, as she put her SUV into park.

"Okay," Bernie replied. Olivia nodded slowly before climbing out and draping her purse across her chest.

Olivia got Bernie's car from the back of the SUV before placing it in front of Bernie and following her through the market. Olivia wasn't sure how Elliot could think that Bernie loved her when she was treating her like this. As they wandered through the market, Bernie picked up items for whatever recipes she was making that night.

"Did you used to go to the market with Kathy?" Olivia asked nervously, as she shoved her hands into her jacket pockets.

"Huh?" Bernie asked.

"I'm sorry, I just-"

"Kathy rarely gave me the time of day. Elliot kept me at arm's length, so Kathy didn't even try. No one has ever joined me," Bernie interrupted.

"Did you want me to join you? I could go sit in the car and wait-" Olivia rambled, but once again, Bernie interrupted her.

"Elliot told me to be on my best behavior, and I didn't want to say something to upset you. That's why I didn't talk on the car ride. I don't want him to lose you," Bernie spoke. Olivia felt like crying as she reached out and gently grabbed Bernie's hand.

"I was worried that you didn't like me, Bernie. That Elliot was lying to me..." Olivia whispered.

"I like you more than Kathy!" Bernie exclaimed. Olivia laughed softly before hugging her tightly.

"You can misbehave around me, I don't mind," Olivia teased, as she rested her cheek on Bernie's beanie-clad head.

"Oh, I wouldn't say that if I were you," Bernie laughed loudly.

///

By the time Elliot got off of work, Olivia's apartment was filled with his kids and the smell of his mother's famous beef roast and all the fixings. Olivia and Bernie wore aprons as they laughed and worked together to finish dinner.

"Woah, it smells great!" Elliot exclaimed, as he hung his jacket up and stood behind the sofa. He ruffled the hair of his daughters, while Dickie, Eli, and Noah sat on the floor and looked through all of Noah's comic books.

"Your girlfriend claimed to not know how to cook, but she is doing great. Didn't even cut herself with the knife," Bernie smiled, as she patted Olivia's arm.

"I'm trying my hardest. Gotta be able to feed Elliot food that isn't takeout," Olivia beamed, as she looked down at Elliot's mother.

Maureen joined Bernie in the kitchen so Olivia could set the table. As she moved around the table, Elliot grabbed her waist and quickly pulled her down the hall. He pressed her firmly against the wall and kissed her lips a handful of times.

"Did you miss me today?" Olivia asked.

"Of course, I missed you, Liv. I'm also shocked at how good today seemed to have gone," Elliot breathed, his fingers digging into the flesh of her hips.

"I thought she hated me, Elliot. She was so worried that she'd say something to upset me since you told her to be on her best behavior, but I was able to break through her shell. We had a lot of fun and we joked around a lot."

"I didn't want her to think that she had to ignore you-"

"El, you were just trying to protect me. We talked about Kathy a little-"

"Kathy?" Elliot asked, and Olivia nodded slowly.

"How she avoided Bernie at all costs... El, I really want to spend more time with her. Get closer, because we are going to spend our lives together. Maybe get married in the future and be really fun old people together," Olivia smiled. Elliot let out a slow breath before kissing Olivia once again.

"I told you she likes you," Elliot whispered.

"Yes, you did. But I was still doubting myself for most of the day, all thanks to your dumb comment," Olivia replied.

///

"Dinner was great, Ma. You and Liv did an amazing job," Elliot smiled, as he drove his mother home that night. 

"I gave Liv the recipe, so she'll be able to make it for you again," Bernie replied, as she reached over and grabbed her son's arm.

"So do you approve?" Elliot asked.

"Of Olivia?"

"Yes, of Olivia. Do you approve?" Elliot asked again. Bernie smiled and nodded, before slipping her wedding ring from her finger.

"Give this to her, little carrot. Marry that woman and love her forever."