Acceptance

Anger washed off Elliot in waves as he slammed his fists on the metal door of his locker. His yells were heard from outside the closed door, but no one entered. If Elliot was angry, he needed to deal with his anger without someone interrupting him. Olivia stood beside Fin at the coffee pots, their eyes locked on the locker room door.

"A-are you gonna go in there?" Fin asked quietly, as he hoped Olivia would say no. He didn't want her to go in and get hit by Elliot. Either on purpose or on accident.

"In there? Are you crazy!? He'd explode on me!" Olivia whispered fiercely. Fin nodded slowly, before stepping away quickly as the door creaked open. Olivia took a few long sips of her coffee before pouring more sugar into it.

"Do you want a refill?" Olivia asked, without looking at Elliot.

"Don't talk to me," He huffed, and Olivia nodded slowly.

"Understood."

Elliot was pissed off the entire day and refused to speak to anyone at all. By the end of the day, Elliot was still angry, but needed to talk. He grabbed Olivia by her jacket before turning her to face him.

"Yeah?" Olivia questioned, shaking Elliot's hand from her jacket.

"Can we go get something to drink and talk? I'm not ready to go home yet."

"Um, sure. Are you okay?"

"No, and I won't be for a while," Elliot grumbled. Olivia nodded before pulling her cell out. 

"Meet me downstairs. I need to postpone my plans for this evening."

"Liv-"

"It's okay. You need me right now," Olivia smiled softly.

///

At the cop bar down the road, Elliot and Olivia sat in a booth together. Elliot kept his voice down as he spoke, so Olivia had to lean close just to hear what he was saying.

"Wait, Mo's gay?" Olivia asked, her eyes wide with surprise.

"She came out this morning to us, and it... I'm so angry," Elliot huffed. 

"Why are you angry?"

"Do you honestly have to ask me that?!" Elliot spat. Olivia held up her hands as she leaned back against the torn leather of the booth.

"El, being gay isn't a bad thing. I get that it's against your religion, but Maureen is your kid."

"She is just making life harder for herself! If she just dated a man, she wouldn't have to worry about all the judgy people!" Elliot exclaimed. Olivia frowned deeply as she reached out and used her finger to stop a drop of condensation from rolling down her mug of beer.

"So you'd rather your daughter hide from her true self instead of being happy?"

"She wants to marry a woman, Olivia! She'll never have kids or-"

"Maureen can still have kids, Elliot. There is adoption and sperm donors," Olivia sighed, as she grew frustrated with Elliot.

"It's not the fucking same as her having a biological child with a husband! Stop trying-"

"Elliot, you are just being a dick right now. I understand you are upset and are having a hard time processing all of this, but you are being ridiculous. So I'm going home."

"You can't possibly support her!" Elliot yelled, as Olivia tugged her jacket on.

"I support your daughter, Elliot! Being gay isn't a bad thing!"

"The hell-"

"Oh my god, Elliot! I'm a fucking lesbian!" Olivia yelled. 

Elliot went silent as he looked at Olivia for a moment. He went to speak, but stopped and swallowed hard. 

"Go home and talk to your wife about this. If you two can't get past this and support Mo, then I will."

///

"Thank you for accepting us, Liv. It means a lot," Maureen breathed, as she and her girlfriend sat in the living room of Olivia's apartment. 

"I will always be here for you two. Nadia, you are incredibly sweet and I can tell that Maureen is so happy to be with you," Olivia smiled as she looked at Maureen's girlfriend.

"I'm happy with her too," Nadia replied gently, before leaning close and kissing Maureen's temple. Olivia left the lovebirds in the living room before moving into the kitchen where her wife stood.

Olivia had been very private about her life outside of the precinct. She hadn't told anyone she was a lesbian, or that she had gotten married in the last year. Her private life was exactly that, private. Her wife understood and liked that their life was a secret just for them. Neither was ashamed, just didn't think others had to approve of their relationship or way of life.

"Nadia and Maureen are so cute together," Alex smiled as she felt Olivia's arms wrap around her waist.

"Not as cute as us, though," Olivia chuckled. Alex's smile grew as she leaned into the arms of her wife.

"Do you think Elliot and Kathy will change their minds and accept them?" Alex asked, her smile fading at the thought of Maureen losing her family just because they couldn't accept she was a lesbian. Olivia sighed deeply before pressing a kiss to Alex's neck.

"I hope they do, but if not... We will have to really step up and take on that role. Make sure Maureen has people there when she tries on wedding dresses in the future, or a suit like I wore," Olivia replied.

They chatted for a few moments longer, before stopping when someone pounded on the front door. Olivia slipped away from her wife and moved to the front door. She opened it slowly and frowned when she saw Elliot standing there.

"You were lying to me, right?" Elliot huffed.

"About what?"

"You aren't gay, right? Liv-"

"My wife is standing in the kitchen as we speak. Next week we have plans to start our journey to becoming mothers. I just never wanted to tell you, and I'm thankful that I didn't. You reacted the same way you reacted to your daughter dating another woman," Olivia frowned deeply.

"I just don't want her to get hurt over this all," Elliot whispered. Maureen walked up behind Olivia and locked eyes with her father.

"You don't want me to get hurt, yet you are hurting me by acting like this. By not even trying to accept my life... I hate you for all the harsh words you said, but am so thankful that you pushed me away. If you hadn't, I don't think I would have talked to Olivia and found out how it feels to be accepted," Maureen breathed bravely, before grabbing the door from Olivia and shutting it in her father's face.