A Lover and a Killer

Amanda let out a weak sigh as she unlocked her apartment door. Sitting on her sofa was her boyfriend, his feet up on her coffee table and a beer in his hand.

"Hey," Amanda breathed, as she shut her door. 

"Hey, baby. How was work?" Owen asked with a broad smile.

"Not great... I'm just glad to be home for the night," Amanda breathed. She turned and faced her door as tears poured down her cheeks. She locked up for the night before turning back around. Owen was standing now, a concerned look on his suntanned face.

"Tell me what's happening," Owen spoke gently. Amanda stepped forward and clung to her boyfriend. 

"There is some bastard out there who is raping and strangling girls left and right. I have six different pictures on my board, and we don't have any suspects at all," Amanda mumbled into Owen's broad shoulder. Her boyfriend wrapped his arms tightly around her body, before placing a soft kiss to the top of her head.

"I'm sure you'll find out who's doing this," Owen breathed.

"I hope so. I just don't feel safe anymore walking on a dark street..."

"If you'd like, I can pick you up at night and bring you home. It's no problem," Owen smiled, as he held his girlfriend at arm's length. Amanda looked into his soft brown eyes and nodded slowly.

"I'd love that. Thank you," She spoke, before getting on her tiptoes and pressing a soft kiss to his lips.

"I love you, Mandy," He grinned.

"I love you too."

///

Every two days, another victim showed up on the board. The victims were all blonde with blue eyes. Several of them moved here from the southern states, and a few were on summer vacation here in the city. Six victims grew to fifteen victims by the end of the month, and Amanda was beyond anxious about this situation. Especially since the last victim was found just across the street from her own apartment.

"Are you going to come to bed?" Owen yawned, as he pushed himself up in bed. Amanda was pacing in front of their bedroom window, her eyes peeled for anyone suspicious outside of her apartment.

"No, I can't," Amanda replied, as she raked her fingers through her messy blonde hair.

"Mandy, just because some dead girl was found across the road doesn't mean that something is going to happen again," He sighed. Amanda stopped and turned to look at him. 

He had been understanding at first, but now he was being a dick about this. He didn't understand her anxiety regarding this situation. That someone was targeting women that looked like her.

"I cannot believe you right now," Amanda spoke.

"Really? Because you've been too focused on this dumb case for weeks that I haven't gotten a good fucking since!" Owen huffed. Amanda rolled her eyes and ran her hands over her face.

"You wouldn't be horny if someone was targeting people that look like you!" Amanda yelled.

Owen climbed out of bed and stared her down. 

"It's not some big deal. Pretty girls like you get raped and murdered all the time, and I see why. They are annoying as fuck," He growled, before reaching for her wrist. She shoved him away, before taking a slow breath.

"Get out," She ordered, pointing to the bedroom door.

"Excuse me?" He questioned.

"I told you to get out of my apartment. Now!"