Chapter 5

Ni-ki didn't go to school and that was only because Sunghoon insisted that he doesn't attend school since he seemed pale to him, even though Ni-ki wanted to go to school he couldn't, he felt forced to not go to school and he didn't like it, but he knew that it was for his good.

So, he decided that it'd be best to just chill at home and do nothing. Yeah, simple as that, but then again he might spend time thinking if his being here is even a good idea since his father will probably be lurking everywhere to find him.

He felt like his father had become a monster, ever since his mother aborted a child that was supposed to be a girl, that child was supposed to be his sister, their daughter, and she was supposed to live, but some difficulties do happen in life and that was one of them, though that was not a great reason for mentally abusing and neglecting Ni-ki, he didn't have anything to do with it, he was hurt as well, but none of his parents seemed to notice that, only his friends did and how many tears he had just let out in front of them unintentionally.

"Hey," Sunghoon said as he brought him some chocolates while Ni-ki widened his eyes at him. He did not expect that, not from him.

"I didn't know what you like so I just-" Sunghoon stopped speaking as he noticed Ni-ki's eyes getting teary and he was confused and concerned at the same time.

"Why are you so nice to me?" Ni-ki asked as he wiped his tears off. "Did I even deserve that?" Ni-ki asked while Sunghoon sighed in response.

Silence.

"You did," Sunghoon said. "Nobody deserves to be treated that badly by their parents," Sunghoon responded as he handed the chocolates to Ni-ki who hesitantly grabbed them and smiled at him while a tear rolled down Ni-ki's eye.

"Just take some rest, okay?" Sunghoon suggested as he wanted to hug him, but hesitated, he didn't know him enough for that after all.

At least I made
him smile.

Sunghoon thought to himself as he went upstairs to take some rest.

"Sunghoon looked so worried..." Jay whispered to Sunoo, but Ni-ki could hear him, Jay knew what he was doing after all.

"I don't believe it," Ni-ki replied while Jay sighed in response. "Why?" Jay asked as he raised his eyebrow at him, while Sunoo glanced down for a second.

"Who would even care about me?" Ni-ki let out and Sunoo felt the need to smack the younger. "We do, you dumb potato!?" Sunoo frowned at him, which did make Jay laugh in response to him, but Ni-ki didn't feel the need to laugh.

How can someone care about me, when my parents do not care about me?

Maybe-

Maybe, they do not care as well...

Ni-ki glanced at the two of them as he wanted to say something, but was soon interrupted by Sunghoon calling Jay's name. "Jay-ah, is Ni-ki okay?" He asked as he rushed to the living room and he immediately glanced at him, as if his life depended on him.

Ni-ki widened his eyes in response to that.

He-

Ni-ki swallowed. "I am okay, hyung no worries." Ni-ki smiled at him while Sunghoon nervously shrugged in response.

Ni-ki did not know him that well, even though he was living with him for now, but he did see that he was somewhat embarrassed.

Just the way Sunghoon's eyes were looking everywhere, but not at him- at a painting that Jay's father adored for some reason even though to Ni-ki it was quite creepy, then he followed Sunghoon's gaze and noticed him fidgeting with his fingers and Ni-ki was somewhat confused, but what was he going to do about it? Ask him, if he's okay and if he wants a glass of water or something else...?

No, he didn't do that, Jay did that instead of him, but Ni-ki was thankful to him even though he felt like Sunghoon only cared because he was Jay's friend and that was it.

❄️

"I didn't know that you liked snow that much," Sunghoon commented as he noticed Ni-ki looking out of the window with a smile on his face.

"It's nice," Ni-ki replied. "It looks like feathers if that makes sense," Ni-ki added and soon after that he heard Sunghoon chuckle at him as he noticed him stepping closer to Ni-ki, but that didn't surprise Ni-ki whatsoever, he liked some company when he tried to hide that feeling of hurt and feeling like a burden, maybe that was even why he liked snow and rain, he felt some kind of comfort wash over him because he didn't have to cry in front of anyone, the snow and in the fall the rain will do it for him.

All of a sudden he turned to Sunghoon and Sunghoon did seem surprised by that. "Thank you." Sunghoon on the other hand didn't know how to respond to that, he didn't know what to do or say, so he just stayed silent, but he still managed to nod in response.

"Maybe, I am rude to you and well a jerk-" That was when he heard Sunghoon speak and that did surprise Ni-ki this time. "You are not, I would be in an even worse mental state than you, so it's fine." Sunghoon smiled at him while Ni-ki felt the heaviness in his throat, he wanted to protest, but he didn't want to speak up, he just wanted to hug the male out of nowhere because he reminded him of an older brother that he unfortunately never had.

"You are way too nice to a person like me." Ni-ki sighed as a small fog formed on the window and Ni-ki felt the need to draw smiley faces on it, but Sunghoon did it instead and Ni-ki just glanced at him with a smile present on his face.

"Want me to draw hearts?" Sunghoon asked while Ni-ki replied with a small nod that Sunghoon was doing it for him, but Ni-ki still felt like he was only doing it out of pity.

"I heard that you can draw, is that true?" Sunghoon asked while Ni-ki widened his eyes at him. "Jay hyung told you about it?" Ni-ki said thinking that, but Sunghoon shook his head in response. "I saw some kind of a notebook or shall I say a sketchbook on the table and I-"

"You didn't-" Ni-ki gasped as he noticed Sunghoon glance at him in confusion. "I didn't take a look, but uh-"

"Why did you say that you heard it from someone when that was not even true?" Ni-ki frowned at him while Sunghoon sighed in response. "I am sorry, just wanted to start a conversation-"

"Why?" Ni-ki asked completely ignoring that he interrupted Sunghoon. "Because, I want to be your friend," Sunghoon admitted and Ni-ki was surprised by that. Why would a wealthy person with good looks and a great future ahead of him, want to be friends with a hopeless and rude teenager with trust issues like him?

It didn't make any sense to him, no matter how much Sunghoon had already shown him how nice he is and how much he had given him and maybe that was why Sunghoon through the whole of December, even on Christmas didn't show up, at Jay's house when Ni-ki was around and it for some odd reason did hurt Ni-ki but was he going to do anything about it?

The clear answer is no.