Origin

Alex liked to watch people. Not stalker-ish, she just liked to let her mind wander. She liked to watch people and read their emotions. Some she could read like a book, others were more difficult. She could tell by what someone was wearing what their personality was. She could tell by the way someone styled their hair what social group they were in. During conversation she could tell by a raise of an eyebrow or a turn of the head what they were feeling.

Ever heard the phrase "I was just thinking that"? Well, that happened to Alex on a daily basis. She could just TELL people's emotions. How they moved, how they acted, how they spoke, how the walked, they were all factors in her little world all by herself.

It came easy to Alex. She didn't manipulate people with it, it was just easy to tell if someone was annoyed or excited or nervous.

Her ability gradually increased to the point where she could tell the moment someone walked in a room that they had just had a fight with someone. She knew who didn't make the cheerleading team by the frowns on girls faces with red eyes. She knew who got a solo in choir by the way they beamed when they walked out of the classroom. She kept it to herself, though.

Behind her back, people called her the mind-reader. She knew what they said and who said it, she just didn't mind. Her little world was fine as long as she and her closest friends were in it.

~•~

Alex's routine was simple. Get up, get dressed, go to her small-town hunting-fishing-camo-wearing high school, excel in her studies, come home, take care the animals, read sometimes, and go to bed.

Alex was only 15, but she had a mind of a philosopher. She loved small, nerdy things like books and music. Her bright blue eyes were striking, her curly brown hair big and frizzy, and her muscular but lanky figure made her image. She always bit her nails and was polite, but these things aren't important.

You know a lot about Alex now, who she was and what she looked like. But my mission here is to tell you what she became. You know the basics. But now Alex is going to tell you how she became more than she deemed herself to be. Who found her and why they wanted her. How she became what she is now.