S.H.I.E.L.D.

1 month later, at SHIELD HQ,  9 months before SHIELD fell to HYDRA

"Sir". Agent Truman lifted his eyes up from his desk.

"Yes?"

"The file you requested."

"Ah, yes, thank you Agent Fields."

Fields walked over to hand him the file. "This certainly is an interesting one, isn't it.", he said.

Agent Fields sat down in a chair in front of him, smoothing her skirt and hair.
"It sure does seem that way," she replied.

"You have experience with people eligible to go in the Index, am I correct?"

"Yes sir. Not all experiences have ended sweetly, but I do have some background."

"Good. I want you to look into this for me.", Truman said. "Intelligence has proofed this for photoshop? It's reliable?"

"Yes sir. The experts said it is a complete raw photo. They analyzed down the lighting and determined it was not the cause.", she replied.

"I haven't seen anything quite like this in a long, long time.", he sighed.

"What exactly do you mean sir?", she asked.

"25 years ago, some agents encountered someone like this on mission. The mission was not classified, just a bag and tag run. Although the person they were supposed to bag was not cooperative. It was a he, and that he knew their every move before they could make it. They eventually overpowered him, because he was an orthodontist, and not very skilled."

Agent Fields chuckled, as did Agent Truman.

"You would think an orthodontist wouldn't try to take on a team of agents all by himself.", Agent Fields said.

"Yes, but there was something peculiar about him", he said. "When we did CT scans on him, his brain activity level was 25%. The average person only uses 20%. He was very smart and intellectual, perfectly harmless. We let him go without a second thought. We assumed it was just genes that made us suspicious. That was a mistake."

"Why?" Fields said, starting to get nervous.

"Because the next time we saw him, he was working as an interrogator for one of our enemy organizations. We read their files, and he managed to get every bit of information they needed from anyone. If they were hardcore and trained, torture methods were used, yes, but he still managed to succeed. He was killed in the crossfire, and we never did find out was was so special about him", Truman said.

"Interesting story, I might add, but what does this have to do with me?", she asked.

"I want you to keep an eye on her. Check up every once in a while. If anything stirs the pot, let me know," he said.

"But what does that man have to with...", she leaned and looked at the file. "... Subject 27? And why was he brought in in the first place?"

"Because, at times, his eyes were exactly like hers."

He set the file open of the desk. On it was the snapshot of Katy had took. In bold letters were the words: Subject 27: Alex Rogers