Upgrade

[3rd Person Point of View]

Ward stepped in the room and closed the door behind him, turning to face the man lazily sitting in a chair behind a table.

He groaned loudly and threw his hands up in the hair in exasperation.

"Seriously?," he said. "How long is this going to take. It's been 9 hours. Either charge me with something with something or let me go!"

Ward didn't respond, just crossed his arms at the dark haired man with facial hair. "Hello, Kurt."

Matthews squinted in confusion. "Do I know you?"

"No," Ward replied. "And you probably never will." He slowly stepped towards the empty chair and pulled in out, casually sitting in it.

"Excuse me?," Matthews said. He looked around and then back at Ward. He started to say something but Ward cut him off.

"I need to ask you a few questions," he said.

"Well I've been answering a few questions for almost half a day now. I've told everyone before you everything I know about Subject 13 and Dr. Winter...or Snow, whoever she is," he replied with a huff.

"I'm not here to ask you about them," Ward said cooly. "I want to talk to you about Rosette Fields."

Realization dawned on Matthews face. "What about her?".

"As you may know, she has been in custody for a while now for reasons concerning the case you were involved in," Ward said.

"I'm aware," he replied. "So...what? I didn't have anything to do with that."

"Maybe. But she didn't act alone. We know that."

"Are you accusing me? For all you know it could have been that Dr. Snow person," he said in protest.

"Dr. Snow was stationed in the Sandbox. That's not possible," Ward said.

"Okay, then it's not her," Matthews said.

"You're right. It's not. Because she's dead," Ward barked. He paused. "But you know who's not dead?...you." He pointed his finger at his chest.

Matthews was taken aback. "You-"

"We've talked to Fields. We have evidence. But I have more that that. I know how people like you work. You needed her for nothing more than to use her to get what you want. She was expendable to you, but now you're both caught. She has enough trust in you not to say anything. But the second she realizes the truth and how her boyfriend betrayed her, she'll give us everything, and you'll be locked up," he said.

Matthews laughed out loud. "I wouldn't classify me as a boyfriend exactly. And please explain to me how she can give the secrets if she doesn't know them?"

"So you admit it," Ward said. "You used her. And you were involved. That's proof right there. You just told me everything I need to know."

Matthews grinned. "Actually, I don't think so. You told me everything I need to know. You just explained your game plan to me right now, and that's a big mistake." He nodded towards the door. "We're not being watched. We're not being recorded. Technically, you're not even in here right now. If you wanted to fool me into thinking this was an actual interrogation, you could have at least read me my rights before you said anything."

Ward stiffened.

Matthews leaned back in his chair. "That was smart really, piecing together the thing between me and Rosette...if that could be even classified as a thing. No normal person could have probably done that." He paused and studied Ward. "You know, I've think I've seen you before. You're Garret's aren't you?"