Here Goes Nothing

The rest of that day...well...lets just say it was the hardest I've had in a while. Maybe ever.

Every time something startled me, every time I looked at something, every time I turned around, every time I did basically anything, my mind would take a snapshot. Click. Instead of seeing what was before me, I saw something that wasn't mine. It was someone else's. I saw an instant glimpse of a time someone else had lived, someone else had seen. Reliving those memories had awakened something in my subconscious, and now it was becoming difficult to live in my own head.

Watching the rest of the team mill about on the Bus, getting ready to land at the Sandbox, was a distant action in itself. I saw Ward zip up his backpack and I saw Skye close her laptop and I saw Fitz carrying...actually I don't know what it was...back to the lab downstairs, but it was harder to process. That is, until a mechanical voice ripped me from my dark pit of thoughts.

"Landing in 20," a woman's voice came over the intercom. Was that May? I had never heard her voice.

I heard footsteps descending the stairs as Coulson stepped onto the floor. "Are we prepped?"

"Yes sir," Ward replied. Meanwhile, I was still stuck in my trance staring at the wall.

"Lucy?," Coulson asked. I turned to him.

"Are you ready?," he asked again.

I nodded.

"Good," he replied.

"What's the plan, sir?" Skye asked as she assisted Ward with whatever he was doing.

"I've let Truman know we're coming and that we need to meet. He knows the urgency of the situation but I still haven't told him the problem," Coulson replied.

"That's probably for the best," Fitz said, setting a box on the table. "They could have bugs on the secure lines and figure out were coming."

Coulson nodded. "What have you got there?," he asked.

Fitz pulled out a handful of small, mechanical pieces. He picked out one from his hand and attached it to the top of his ear. "Earcoms 2.0. They're not disguised as skin so they're put on the outer ear. Not only do they work as comms for communication, but they measure heartbeat and the other vitals. They're all connected, so if one wearer's vitals get too low, it broadcasts it to the rest of the comms."

Coulson picked one up and examined it. "Are they ready for use?"

"They're just a prototype, but they should be okay for a first test run today," Fitz replied.

"Perfect," Coulson said, attaching the device to his ear.

Fitz handed one to Skye and Ward and then walked out of the room announcing that he was going to find Simmons.

Coulson turned around to me and tossed me a device. I stood up and clamped it in my hands in mid-air.

"You'll need that to be able to talk to us from the outside," he said.

I nodded. Right. The outside. I began attaching to my ear.

"Are you sure you're still up for this?," he asked.

I stood up and brushed myself off, finishing clamping the device. "Well, I certainly can't let you have all the fun to yourself, now can I?"

~•~

I stepped into the base for the third time, subconsciously noting that the last time I had done so, my mind was solely my own.