Call Me Lucy

I looked at Skye and then back at Coulson. "Thanks?"

Coulson looked at Skye saying, "Would you mind showing her around? Afterwards Fitz-Simmons need to take a look at her, too. They have a lot to explain." "Also, come by my office once your settled. There's still more to discuss," he said turning and walking up the spiral staircase.

I kept looking around. Beside me was a red car, so shiny it looked almost fake. I reached out to touch it.

"Don't touch Lola," Coulson's voice echoed from upstairs. I drew my hand back.

I looked at Skye. She had sweet eyes and a soft face. Her black tank top made her look tough along with jeans and combat boots. I looked down at my own jeans and tennis shoes.

"C'mon," she said. "I'll show you were you'll be sleeping". She walked away and I followed her. We passed Ward on the way. She stopped.

"This is Ward, the muscle of the team," she said smiling. He didn't smile back. "We've met," he said continuing walking.

"Don't worry, he's always like that," she said. If he was always that grumpy, he probably had some issues. Love life, maybe family? I don't know. I watched him walk away. He looked confident. He should be. He's 6'3'' and looked like he could snap me in half.

I turned back to Skye. She led me to the sleeping quarters and I set my bag down on my bed. "Ward is the bad-cop, I'm guessing," I said. She looked surprised but she laughed. "Yep. Nailed it.", she replied.

"You look to smart to be that, but not doctor smart. What do you do?", I asked.

She looked surprised again. "I-uh, I'm the hacker. The computer geek. Basically.", she said. "How did you know?"

"Oh, I don't," I said. "Just the way you stood up to Ward makes it seem like you're not intimidated by him. He doesn't seem very bright, and he seems to like you somewhat. He probably wouldn't like you that much if you were super smart and all. He didn't seem to treat you like his equal, too, so you're probably not the combat go-to. So, apparently you're the hacker.", I said.

Her eyes went wide. "You got all that from 2 sentences?"

"No... I just notice the little things I guess", I replied.

"Well, you're spot on. He's number 2 combat go-to, number 1 is in the cockpit. May's flying the plane.", she said.

"The Chinese lady?", I asked.

She looked around giggling a little bit. "Yeah, pretty much. But whatever you do, don't call her that. She's not the joking type."

"I'll be sure to remember that."

"Well, the super smart people are in the lab downstairs. You'll like them. They talk a lot.", she said walking down the stair case. We walked to a room with glass doors. The lab had a bunch of tables with all different kinds of stuff on them. I could hear voices inside.

Skye clicked a button and the door slid open. I could hear a Scottish accent coming from a man leaning over a microscope "...yep, and it looks like the ions are bonding whenever the gamma rays trigger the.."

"Simmons?" Skye called. "Coming!", a female British voice said from the other side of the room. A girl with short brown hair walked over with a data pad in her hand, typing something. She looked up and saw me and set it on a table.

"Oh, hi there," she said to me. "This is who we came here to get?", she said to Skye. "Looks like it," she replied.

She rested her hands on her knees to get to my level. "Well hi there sweetie! I'm Jemma, but you can call me Simmons. It may all be frightening all at once", she said gesturing around the room, "but it's really quite fun once your get used to it. Well, how old are you? 11, 12?"

My eyes narrowed a bit. I knew I had sort of a baby face, but I wasn't THAT short. I was only 5'1''. "I'm 15," I said.

"Oh," she said stepping back. The man walked up beside her. "And this is Fitz", she said. He had a blank expression but his blue eyes told all. Simmons seemed really nice and outgoing.

"Nice to meet you," I said. "I'm -". I broke off. They knew me as Subject 27. And really, I wasn't Alex anymore. Only Coulson and Ward knew my real name. And if this backfired, a fake name wouldn't allow anyone to trace me back to my home. "J-Just call me 27. After all I am Subject 27," I said.

"Oh, you're not a number!" Jemma said in her sweet accent. "What can we call you?", she asked.

I thought for a minute. Hmm. Madas? No. Sounds weird. Uh, maybe Anne? No. Lucy. How about Lucy. Sounds kinda cool. "You can call me Lucy," I said.

"Alright then," Skye said. "Coulson wants you to check her out. A couple things might be explained better," she said to Simmons. "I'll leave you two to it," she said walking away.

I looked at them. "So you're Fitz-Simmons?", I asked.

"Yep," they both said at the same time. So they finish each other's sentences, I thought. They must be best friends. They look reallllyy smart. Jemma looked like a goodie two shoes, probably likes to organize. Maybe read. Fitz, well, I'm not sure about him, I thought.

"Well, first we'll have to run an analysis on you," she said. "Well just take some bloodwork, physical assessments, a CT scan..." She trailed off. "Of course only if you're alright with it."

"Yeah, sure, totally," I said realizing the frown that had dawned on my face. "I just don't like needles, that's all."

"Well then I guess I won't let Fitz do it then," she said leading me towards a dentist- looking chair in the medical cubicle. I sat still while she drew blood and asked me random questions like what bones had I broken and if I had allergies or anything like that. "Fitz!", she called. "I'm going to need that CT scan in a minute or two."

"Okay..", he answered bringing in a device. He assembled it on the top of the chair. It circulated around my head, casting small blue and red rays of light on my face. I felt like a contaminated frog. A frog that had to be scanned in order to see if it was safe to be free. The scan determined its freedom. It's life or death. It hit me then. What am I doing here? I don't owe these people anything. What if they lied? What if I'm just a lab rat they need? Are they going to lock me up and experiment on me? I clenched the arm rests unknowingly. A great ball of fear developed in my chest. What if they don't let me go? Will I ever see my family again? What if they sell me? Am I really worth something? Maybe I'm infected and I really don't have an ability. I shut my eyes tight. No. This isn't right. It's not-

"Uh, Fitz!", Simmons said looking at the computer screen. A virtual image of a brain was on it along with level bars. The bars were reaching in the red, the waves lines on the brain were going faster and faster. The beeping noise grew faster. Fitz looked up and his jaw dropped. "L-Lucy", he stuttered.

My eyes shot open and my hands unclenched. The beeping slowed down. I took a deep breath. "Uh-sorry," I said. Simmons, still staring at the screen, said "I've never seen anything like this before. You're brain activity level is through the roof -,". She turned around to look at me and gasped. "Oh, your eyes!", she said. "Let me guess. They're rainbow", I said. She grabbed a mirror and handed it to me. I stared at myself and my eyes. They almost glowed, but they were dying down. "Coulson said adrenaline caused it", I said.

"Yes, that might explain it", Simmons said shakily. "Fitz, a word please?" Fitz followed her out of the room. I saw them talking. They looked startled and kept sneaking glances at me. Great, I thought. Now I'm the freak show. I closed my eyes again, trying to concentrate on something else. Lucy.

Lucy.