Mission Acquired

I stepped out of the room and slammed it behind me. I...couldn't really comprehend what I had just done. An interrogation. I had cracked someone no one else could. I broke her.

I shook my head and focused on the occupants of the room. The two people in the chairs were staring at me in disbelief, and looked away when I made eye contact. Coulson was still staring through the window at Fields, who was being led out the room. He turned to look at me.

"That..was good. Good job," he said. "We didn't get exactly what we needed, but it's safe to say it will suffice."

I searched the walls for Skye and found her in a chair in the corner typing on her laptop.

"Skye has been cross-referencing the new information with what we already know as you talked," Coulson said.

"I've been checking all cameras and witness reports to see if there was anyone Field's didn't tell us about, like you said," Skye began. We made eye contact and I gave her a look. She seemed confused for a moment but then understood. "Oh, and Coulson? I found a possible location for our escaped subject. And if Lucy's right, someone else is looking for him, so we better hurry."

Coulson whirled around at her. "He? You've read up on the subject now? How did you get access?"

She tried to look innocent as she closed her laptop. "I....didn't."

"Skye...you...," Coulson sighed. "Never mind. We will talk about this later. We need to get on the Bus. Now. Thank you officers."

He turned and walked out. I glanced at Skye who shrugged and we followed Coulson.

As we stepped into the hallway we heard Coulson radioing for the rest of the team to meet him at the Bus. Within a few moments we had both caught up to him.

"Skye, the file is classified," he said quietly.

"Yes, sir, I know, but once I knew someone else was looking for him I made the call to make it out priority to get to him before they do," she confessed.

He sighed. "You know that's not allowed. But I'm willing to let it slide given our circumstances. But if you ever break protocol like that again..."

"I understand sir," she replied.

"Alright. What did you find?," he asked.

Skye snuck a smile at me. "We believe it's possible he might be hiding out at his aunt's farm on the outskirts of New York. He...Richards...doesn't really have anywhere else to hide, given that he's already been caught once."

Coulson nodded and turned out his radio. "Level 9, Agent Coulson. Mobilize strike team unit. 30 minutes tops. Landing pad 2A."

He turned to me. "Lucy, I hope you're right. About all of it. For Richard's and Field's sake."

I nodded. I hope I was too.

•~•

A little while later I was standing beside Skye in the cockpit of the Bus as we took off. In front of me was Coulson speaking to a team of 8 people including Ward, dressed in full out combat gear, helmets, protective vests, and automatic ICERS.

"This is a bag and tag mission. Non lethal. ICERS only. Target is Peter Richards." Coulson said.  He held out a mugshot for everyone to see.

"Subject is powered and is registered on the index. His ability is know as Telecognesis. Simmons will explain," he said gesturing to his left.

Simmons cleared her throat. "Richards has the ability to manipulate light. He should also be able to manipulate dark energy as well, but during his captivity signs of that we're never shown, so we'll just focus on his light powers for now. He absorbs sunlight and stores it and can later formulate it into energy blasts powerful enough to rip through a person. The catch is he is basically powerless at night. Keep in mind that basically powerless can still cause injury, however. Luckily, when we arrive at the location, it should be dark, giving us the advantage."

"Thank you, Simmons," Coulson said. "Any questions?"

One man voiced. "What reports does your intelligence unit have on his likely actions?"

Coulson pointed to me. "She is our intelligence unit." The man frowned.

"First we will have a peaceful approach, given his aunt's residence," Coulson continued. "The greeting wagon will consist of me, Skye, Ward, and Lucy."

The man piped up again. "Sir, why is it necessary for the intelligence unit to be present?" A low laugh came from the team.

"Because she can tell if anyone is lying the second they open their mouth. And, Agent, if a chase down does occur, if she is connected to a head camera and can see what's going on, she will be able to tell his moves before he makes them. So, if you'd prefer not to have a hole blasted through you, I think it's in our best interest for her to come along," Coulson replied. That shut him up. "Any other questions? Good. Landing time in 1 hour. Dismissed."

The team disassembled. Coulson rested his hand on the black SUV and looked at me. "Are you sure you're up for this? I don't want to force you to do anything you don't want to do."

"Sir, if the info we have on this guy is right, this mission is almost bound to go downhill. I mean think about it. He supposedly murdered his parents. He has powers he doesn't understand and doesn't know how to control. He was on the run for almost 2 weeks until he is taken by people he doesn't know for a reason he doesn't understand. He is then kept in a strange place for another month with no progress. If the file was right, he never talked and was unstable...erratic...his powers out of control. So he was transferred. Some more strange people break him out of the transfer and try to take him. He manages to get free. Now he's on the run from two people. Imagine his reaction when we finally catch up to him. And, I think, if I'm strong enough, I can get through to him. It'd be a little less threatening than someone holding a gun to his head," I said.

"You're right," Coulson said. "But we aren't putting you in the field. You're not combat trained and you have no experience."

"Understood," I said.

By now it was just me and him in the garage.
He noticed me staring at the shiny red car again.

"You can touch Lola if you want."

"Really?"

"No."