Glowstick

I opened the door and stepped into Coulson's office. It was wide and spacey, with shelves and screens adorning the walls. In the middle was a desk with two chairs in front of it. Coulson sat at the desk reading some papers in front of him. He looked up when I stepped in.

"Have a seat."

I walked over slowly as I looked around. This was so cool. I sat down in a chair and put my hands in my lap.

"So...," he said as he shuffled the paper on his desk. "How'd the evaluation go?"

"Uh, it went well...i guess. Simmons said I was perfectly healthy and the rainbow tint didn't have any detrimental effects on me," I replied.

"Good. So Alex....can I call you that?", he asked.

"Most people call me Lucy," I replied. That sounded better than I just changed my name cause I don't trust you.

"Alright then," he said. "I'm here to brief you on your assignment. We will be landing at the Sandbox in an hour or two. You'll need to know what you're walking into before we arrive."

I nodded in reply. He opened a file and brought out papers, sliding them in front of me. It was a profile, with a picture a a pretty, brunette woman with rosy, pink cheeks.

Name : Fields, Rosette Maria
DOB: October 23, 1988
F Caucasian

I began to skim the page.

"Agent Fields was an intelligence agent," Coulson began. "She joined six years ago and gained three promotions. She was never married, never had kids, never distracted, never a complaint. She was a good asset."

I glanced up. "What happened?"

He sighed. "Two months ago, she was given an assignment. She was supposed to investigate a prisoner transfer that failed. Subject in question escaped, killing one of our own in the process. Fields was told to investigate all aspects of the break out during the transfer; who aided the subject, where it went, and so forth. Unfortunately, prior to finishing her assignment, one of our security officials picked up a trace signal of a digital file being duplicated. That's not allowed, ever, especially on locked cases such as the one Fields had. We traced it back to Field's computer, but she was gone. We found that the said copied file was of all of her research on the escapee case, and she had downloaded it onto a drive. She was gone, she had taken it, and we didn't know where."

I stopped skimming through her file and set it down. "So she duplicated her own research results and took it somewhere."

"Yes."

I pondered what Coulson had said. She was investigating an escape during a prison transfer. The case was locked, so top secret, no one can know. Especially so, because he didn't even mention the escaped prisoners gender. He just referred to him as Subject. Therefore, he really didn't want anyone to know anything about this case. So the only problem with this story would be if someone did get ahold of that information on the drive. And apparently there is a problem since I'm here, so I'm assuming that's it.

"She gave it to someone, didn't she?", I said.

"No," he replied.

A look of shock crossed my face. I was wrong? I'm never wrong.

"She sold it," he said.

"Oh," I replied. So I was right.

"I know, it's shocking. You think you know people. But, she sold it. We arrested her when she came back to work, playing dumb about it. We tried to trace the funds transfer to her bank back to the buyer, but no luck. She won't tell us who she sold it to. You'd think we could crack her, but it's not often one of our agents turns. She knows every trick in our book, dodges every bluff. That's why we need you."

I stared at him for a moment. He needed me.

"Why do you need me again?", I asked. "I got the story, but you kinda lost me there."

"Because I think you can be successful at getting under someone's skin. And I already told you about the other person with your abilities, how he was very successful at interrogation."

"Right.......", I said trailing off.

He pushed the rest of the file to me.

"Almost all the information we have on Fields is in here," he said.

"What about the information on the escapee case?", I asked.

Coulson folded his hands in front of him. "That's confidential."

"Confidential?", I said a little loudly.
"The plane were sitting on is confidential. This file is confidential. Your first name is confidential! Everything about this place is pretty secret. Unless your first name is Agent."

"It is," he said.

"Really?", I said in surprise.

"No," he said, he face not changing.

"Then what is your first name?", I said.

"That's confidential," he replied.

I huffed in desperation, rubbing the bridge of my nose.

"Whatever, that's not the point. If you want me to get information from this person, I need to know what she knows, if not more. Sending me in blind on the subject won't do me any good," I protested.

"You don't need to know anything about the case in order to know who she sold it to," he replied indignantly.

"Uh, yeah, I do. Don't you understand that I need to know these things in order to make her crack? I have to know everything. If I don't, I'm in the dark, and when I'm in the dark, I can't do what you want me to," I protested.

"You aren't Level 8. Level 8, what am I saying", he said shaking his head. "You aren't even Level 0. You can't even drive yet. Anyways, you can't read the information. It's classified, top secret, confidential, whatever. End of discussion."

I took the file and stood up. "I'll be reading," I said. I turned around and walked to the door.

"Skye will show you around the rest of the Bus," he said.

I turned around. "Got it." I shut the door and stepped into the hallway.

He wouldn't let me see the file. Fine. I'll try my best without it.

I walked down the hallway and peered down the stairs. No Skye.

I took the spiral stairs two at a time downward, clutching the file. I reached the end and glanced to my left at the shiny red car. Lola, Coulson had called it. It was really shiny.... I wonder.

"Hey Glowstick," a deep voice said from behind me.

I yelped in surprise as I spun around. Ward was standing right behind me, his huge, burly frame towering over the edge of the stairs.

"Bloody hell...", I muttered. "What?"

"Skye's in the cot slots," he said.

I switched the file in between hands.
"Got it," I said walking through the doors into the living area. Then I stopped and turned around.

"Glowstick? Really?", I said, just realizing his comment.

"Glowy glowy," he mocked, making blinking motions with his hands near his eyes as he stepped up the stairs.

I rolled my eyes and stared walking again.

"I'll Glowstick your ass in a minute", I muttered under my breath.