Why?

I yawned, enjoying the sunlight warming my body. Nuzzling into the warm male underneath me. Pain jolted me wide awake and I clasped a hand over my aching shoulder. The memories of last night filled my mind and heat rushed to my face.

"Good morning," Azrael rasped, his gray eyes filled with amusement.

"Morning," I mumbled, hiding my face in his neck.

"I'm surprised by you last night," He said, "Most males claim their female first."

"I'm sorry," I kissed his neck softly remembering the way he had nipped at mine the night before.

"Don't be," He rumbled, circling his arms around my back, "I liked it. Though you did give me quite the scare by falling asleep so quickly."

"I didn't mean to," Letting out a happy sigh, "How much longer before we get to leave here?"

Azrael tensed beneath me, "Only four days left."

"Only?" I snorted, "You sound like you're not looking forward to leaving."

"I'm not," Azrael frowned, "When we leave here things will be much more complicated."

"Why is that?" I asked, pulling away from him, "I assumed I'd be going to live with you after we take some of my things from my parents' manor."

"We will," He sighed, suddenly seeming so much older than he had, "I will be leaving for work soon after we leave here."

I perked up, seeing an opportunity to learn more about him, "What will you be doing for work?"

"The king is planning on sending me overseas."

"Overseas?" I repeated, my brows rising, "Why overseas? How long? When do you leave?"

"He was planning on having me stay there for a few years." I tensed, "Because I don't have any ties here he thought it would be a good opportunity to better our relations with other countries."

"Why is the king having you act as an ambassador?" I asked, furrowing my brows, "You said you were a knight."

"I am," He sat up, keeping his arms around me, "I am also a close friend of the king and the crown Prince. King Rasten is planning on sending me with the crown Prince as part of his royal guard."

"I see," Gritting my teeth together I leaned away from him, ignoring the sharp pain lighting up my sex, "Why are you here then? I know you didn't have a choice about being in the mating run, but why would you bother claiming me? You could've just stayed away from everyone."

He stiffened, "I need a mate to leave the country. The Prince wouldn't let me come unless there was something at home that would make it so I had to return. He was worried his father would end up marrying me off. I also need a Lady to take care of my estate."

"Why?"

"The Prince doesn't take risks when it comes to the people he cares about." He shrugged, "He wanted to make sure I would return, even if I was already planning on it."

"So you claimed me with the intent of leaving immediately after." I climbed off of him, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Won't this work out well for you?" He asked defensively, "You'll be able to do as you please for at least a year. I'll make sure you have all the funds you need."

"Great," I grabbed my braid fidgeting with it, "Thank you so much for your generosity."

I don't know why I was so mad, but my stomach turned at the thought of spending the next year or more in a strange land. I glared at Azrael, my annoyance growing the more I thought about everything that had happened in the last few days. I suddenly realized that the lust haze that I was stuck in the night before had disappeared completely.

"I'm not in heat." I stated, chewing at my lower lip, "Why was I like that if I'm not in heat? Why was that other female like that?"

"What are you talking about?" Azrael asked, still tense.

"I should still be in heat for at least another three days." I recalled the words of the sister when she was bathing me in 'special soaps'. "That bitch. She must have wolfsbane."

"Wolfsbane?" Azrael asked.

"Yes," I answered, "It's poisonous, but in low doses can be used as a way to release your lycan and more...primal desires. I believe that the priestesses use it during their mating rituals."

Azrael frowned, "It would make sense. They probably do it that way so people are forced to claim a mate."

"This entire thing is ridiculous." I growled, pressing my palms into my eyes. "I would leave, but now that I have this mark on me no one my family would approve of will want me."

"I apologize," Azrael replied, looking suitably chastened. "I believe this will work out better than you would think. I might be leaving for a while, but isn't that preferable? You will have free reign to do as you see fit while I am away, your family will be pleased that you have achieved an advantageous match, correct?"

"Yes," I frowned, "Why are you so willing to leave your entire estate in the hands of a stranger?"

"I have a friend there who will make sure everything goes smoothly." He rubbed a hand down his face, "I need a mate to leave, and I need someone to lead my people while I am away. Please, do this for me."

"Do I have a choice?" I snapped, gesturing to the wound on my shoulder.

"I will do everything in my power to make sure you are happy," Azrael promised, his gray eyes boring into mine.

"Then you should've stayed away from me," I growled.

Thoughts? How would you feel in this situation?