Gifts for Friends

"I'm going to have to head out soon, Lin," My brother said, "Classes start up right after Lanus."

Nodding in agreement I pulled my cloak tighter around me. Lanus was the nationwide celebration that happened every year. Everyone in town would go to the temple at dusk, we would listen to the priestess talk about our mother and sing hymns. Then my father and mother would disappear into the crowd after mass and my brothers would escort me home.

When we got older and Henry claimed Marie they would join my parents at the town's celebration and Bryn and I would be the ones returning home. The only things I had ever heard about those celebrations were the roaring fires and tables laden with food. During the day everyone fasted until after the mass, the only ones excluded were those that were ill or had not yet reached puberty.

Any over sixteen were allowed to attend Lanus, but my father had never let me. Both of my parents had wanted me safe at home where they wouldn't have to worry about me. Both of my brothers had offered to watch over me, but our pleas were as always denied.

"I'll be able to participate this year," I smiled, "Hopefully Esmae will be willing to get ready with me. I'll have to ask around and see if the people here have any traditions that differ from ours. Or if there is anything special I am supposed to contribute."

"I'm glad you're so excited," Bryn chuckled, following me out of the courtyard towards the market.

Rasen was trailing quietly behind us, carrying a large woven basket. We were going to pick up some food from the market and deliver it to Esmae and make sure she was alright. My male had been talking with Theorn since the early hours of the morning and had asked to be left alone until they were finished. Something was clearly bothering him, but I respected his wishes and Bryn soon joined me as I went about my day.

"I'm happy here," I confessed softly, "I finally feel useful. Though I can't seem to get rid of the feeling that it will all be ripped away from me. I'll wake up and be trapped like a bird in a golden cage. Only let out when father finds me a suitable new owner."

"Lin," My older brother heaved out a sigh, "I know how you feel, but you're free now. That garden was the best thing to ever happen to you. You're free now, you got away from them. Henry and I are still shackled by duty, but you did it. Please for both of us enjoy your new life."

"I wish you guys could live here," I muttered, crossing my arms.

Bryn gripped my arm, his serious face glaring down at me, "Aslin, you got out. Don't spend your time worrying about us. We can handle those nut jobs without your help. Now let's go get your friends some food."

"Thank you," I huffed.

We continued walking towards the crowded market. The majority of the people milling around the square were males, broad shoulders taking up as much space as possible. The vendors were all males, deep voices calling out to the people walking around. Drawing their attention to their stalls.

"I'm not bargaining with you," A low feminine voice growled, her voice standing out amidst all the deep growling voices. "Pay full price or get lost."

"Come on, darling," A deep voice purred, "It's just a few coins less."

"Rasen," I called, attempting to see through all the large bodies blocking my view. "Who is that?"

"Looks like Renir is after Grim's girl now," My guard growled, taking a step forward so his body was blocking my left side. "She doesn't normally come here alone."

"Can you make a path so we can go see what she is selling?" I asked the males towering over me.

They made quick work of shoving a path through the crowd. A low table was covered with various furs, and a scowling female was glaring up at Renir. Blazing red hair was tied up in a tight bun, showing off the claiming mark that laid at the juncture between her neck and shoulder. A black stone glittering at the base of her neck.