Pray for the Children

"Why do you want to go to the temple?" Esmae asked as we waited for Theorn to finish his paperwork.

"My brother's mate just lost her first child," I said softly, watching as her eyes flashed with emotion and she took a deep breath, "They had a baby girl, but she was still-born. They will be arriving today and I was wondering if-"

"If I could talk to her about it?" Esmae asked, tears already welling in her eyes. "I don't think I can..."

"Not talk to her," I explained, grasping her hand and fighting back my own tears, "I want to go to the temple so we can pray for her and her child. I'd also like to pray for you and your children if you'd allow it."

Esmae wiped away her tears, pulling me into a tight hug, "Thank you, I'd like that very much."

"What happened?" My brother suddenly asked as he stepped out of Theorn's office, "Why are you both crying?"

"We're fine," Esmae sniffed, smiling brightly at me, "Are you coming with us to the temple, Bryn?"

"If you'd like," Bryn replied, stepping out of the way of Theorn, "Are you all going now?"

"Yes," I replied, "We will be taking a carriage, the temple is near the outskirts of the city."

"You've been studying the maps," Theorn grinned, leading us towards the doors.

"Of course," I replied, "Did you expect me not to?"

"Come on, Aslin," Bryn huffed, wrapping an arm over my shoulders and tugging me with him. "You can argue in the carriage."

The doors opened revealing a carriage tied to the large black horses Theorn had shown me on my first day here. Casi was standing by the horses with a smile and Sel was sitting at the front of the open carriage.

This carriage wasn't like the ones we used for traveling. It was open to the elements and there was a bench on either side. Furs had been layered over the seats to help us keep warm, but I doubted I would need any of them. Eva had insisted I wear a cloak to keep warm so I was wrapped up in the black fur Azrael had gifted to me.

Theorn gripped Esmae's hand and helped her into the carriage before reaching for me. I took his hand and stepped up into the carriage, I sat opposite of Esmae. My brother sat down next to her with a yawn.

"How do you like being a lady?" He asked, the carriage lurching into motion once Casi and Theorn got onto the carriage.

"It's nice," I smiled, "I don't think I'm really doing much, but I really do enjoy meeting all of the people. Father never let me into town as you know."

"Your father didn't let you leave?" Casi asked, turning around with a frown. "Why not?"

"Our father is a special breed," Bryn huffed, crossing his arms with a scowl, "With Aslin being his only daughter he became very protective of her. Almost obsessive with her safety."

"I wasn't even allowed to start learning to read till I was twelve for fear of me getting a paper cut," I rolled my eyes, "That was his excuse anyways. He really just wanted me to be as dumb as possible for as long as possible. He was like that for Bryn and Henry too. Mother of course didn't put up a fight."

"She lives to please that man." Bryn huffed.

"Henry got educated first being the oldest," Smiling I looked at my brother, "He taught both of us how to read and write once he was taught at ten. Our teacher was shocked at how quickly we learned once father finally decided we would need to start lessons."

"Henry sounds like a great male," Esmae commented. "I met Garren a few years ago. He helped me get away from my mother. My father died when I was seven and mother was never the same after. She blamed me for his death."

Abandoned By My Mateजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें