Talk About Family Problems

"You really knocked him out?" Marie gasped, covering her mouth and watching my mate with wide amber eyes.

"I did!" Aslin giggled, nodding vigorously and taking another gulp of her ale, "Broke his nose too!"

"Wow," Marie breathed, glancing over at Henry before leaning closer and whispering loudly, "I bet we could knock out Henry."

"I bet I could make Az knock himself out," Aslin said, tossing back her head as she cackled, "But I can't make him stay!"

"He is leaving?" Marie squeaked, her black curls bouncing as she turned to look at Henry, "You hear that Henry?"

"I think everyone did," Henry replied, giving me a wary look. "Where are you going, Azrael?"

I glanced over at Theorn who gave me a nod of encouragement as I turned to face Aslin's brothers. Bryn's normally joyful face had drained of emotion and he was studying my face carefully.

"I'm going overseas with the prince for a year or two," I replied, rolling my shoulders back to get rid of the tension building inside me.

"Why did you claim our sister if you're just going to leave her a month later?" Henry asked, glaring at me suspiciously.

"Henry," Theorn said, his eyes serious but a playful smile spreading his lips, "Do you really want to know the answer to that question?"

Bryn and Henry both curled their lips in disgust, their eyes narrowing at me before looking to Theorn. His smile had spread wider and I silently thanked him for getting their attention off of me.

I doubted either of those males would enjoy hearing about how I almost lost control of myself the second I heard her voice. Or how I ended up chasing her up a tree and had been intent on knocking it down until she thankfully came down on her own.

"Does that mean she will be taking care of this place by herself?" Bryn frowned, watching as the drunk females curled up on the couch together.

"Theorn will be here to help her with anything she needs." I replied, grabbing my glass off of the table and sipping at the amber liquid.

"Maybe Theorn should have claimed her instead," Henry huffed.

"Watch your tongue," My friend replied before I could, his voice a low growl, "He may be leaving for a while, but that makes him no less worthy of her. Remember your place."

"Aslin is mine," I glared at Henry, watching as he fought against the instincts of his lycan to submit. "I will take care of her as best I can, and she will want for nothing while she is here."

Flexing his jaw, Henry looked away from me, "I can't imagine how hard it will be for you. I left Marie for a month to build a trading relationship with one of the more remote towns and I thought I was going to crawl out of my skin. We aren't meant to be apart from our bonded Azrael."

"It's getting late," Bryn commented, faking a yawn and stretching out his long limbs, "I'm going to get some rest before I have to see off our parents tomorrow. You should probably get her to bed, Henry."

Henry stood, picking up his mate carefully so as not to wake either of the females. Both of the brothers gave a curt goodbye before leaving my study. Once they left I was finally able to relax into my chair, slowly unknotting my muscles one by one. Sitting in silence with Theorn as we listened to the fire crackle and pop.

"Henry seems like a piece of work," Theorn said, breaking the comfortable silence.

"Not as bad as his father," I rolled my eyes, taking another sip of my drink and enjoying the pleasant burn, "You can't really fault either of them for being concerned about her. As annoying as it is to be questioned by them I think I like them more for it."