Darkness

"Come on out," Dran said in a happy voice.

He pulled open the carriage door, the wide smile on his face dimming when I continued to cower against the other side of the carriage. The muscles in his jaw ticked as he glared at me.

"Don't make this harder than it has to be," Dran growled, "I like you, but not enough to stand for your insolence, girl."

"Why are you doing this?" I growled, pushing down my fear in trade for anger. "What did I do to you?"

"It's not what you did," He growled, madness dancing in the dark of his irises, "It's not even what Azrael did. Now come before I drag you out of there."

I growled, but obeyed, hopping out of the carriage and resisting the urge to run. His hand wrapped around my wrist in a painful grip, and I knew even with advanced healing bruises would be left on my body. He shoved me forward, into a simple looking house that was placed high on a hill, overlooking the lively city.

"In here," He growled, opening the cellar doors and shoving me down the steps.

I stumbled, scraping my hands and knees as I fell. Quickly turning as I pushed myself away from him as fast as I could. Dran grinned, enjoying my fear.

"Is this the time where I explain to you my motives and tell you about my master plan?" He asked, grinning down at me as he took slow steps down the stairs.

"I don't care," I huffed, sneering at him, "I don't care why you did this or how no one noticed how fucking crazy you are."

"So mean." He laughed, "I can see why Az likes you and that sharp tongue."
"Come closer so I can rip your throat out too." I hissed, shuffling to my feet.

"Ah yes," Dran laughed, "I saw what you did to that male. Just another pawn that Garner and I are using."

"Count Garner?" I frowned, "I thought it was the duke that wanted Az dead."

Dran cackled, "Foolish girl. Only Az needs to die to keep the duke in power. What is the saying? Ah, yes, two birds, one dead girl."

I glared at him. Swallowing all the questions I wanted to ask. It didn't matter what I found out, I'd die down here unless I managed to escape. Dran had used that flower to get rid of my scent, there was no trail for my mate to follow. No way for him to find me.

"You see," Dran grinned, "The duke was the one responsible for the murder of Az's mother. He wanted their family out of the way to get the power and influence they had, and now Garner wants you dead to make sure the duke stays in power and he gets to keep selling females without any issues."

Dran stepped closer, quickly grabbing my wrists and pulling them up over my head. He tightened his grip on me as I squirmed, cold metal wrapping around my wrists.

"And I," He stepped away from me, his evil smile falling away, "I want revenge."

"Revenge for what?" I snapped, tears pricking my eyes, my arms were stretched high above my head and pain was already ripping through my shoulders and wrists.

"His father killed my older brother," Dran growled, "I held him as he died, watched the light go out in his eyes."

"I'm so sorry," I whispered, "But the sins of the father are not the sins of the son."

"Someone has to pay the price for his death," Dran snarled, baring his teeth at me.

"Didn't his father already pay by killing himself?" I asked, the calous words almost making me wince. "Why does there need to be more deaths?"

"Aslin," Dran laughed, "You sound just like my mate."

"I didn't know you had a mate." I muttered.

"I did," He smiled reliving the memories before his face suddenly darkened, "She tried to convince me not to go through with my revenge that was 20 years in the making. So I got rid of her. Just like I'm going to get rid of you."