Dancing with Disaster*

"You ruined my dress." That was the first thing out of Maeve's mouth when she joined me in the sitting room two days later.

"I'm sorry," I laughed, "Next time I get kidnapped I'll ask them to take it off before they start the torture."

"Maeve," My mate growled warningly.

Since waking up I had managed to begin walking again without wincing in pain, and the only marks left on my body were pink lines where the slices had been. I hadn't seen Killian since I had first woken up and freaked out. I had wanted to ask Az where he had gone, but I was afraid he would tell me I had offened him in some way.

The bodies of three males had mysteriously shown up a few towns over, but no one could tell how they got there. Something was wrong with them as well. None of the bodies had a scent and they were so torn up there was no way to recognise them. When I asked Az about this news he just gave me a small smile, confirming what I already knew.

"The ball is in two days," Fia cut in before Az and Maeve could start one of their frequent yet amusing arguments, "Are you going to be attending?"

"Yes," I said firmly, making sure to get the word out before Az could say no.

I still wasn't able to be in the dark. Everytime night fell Az would go around the room and light the numerous lanterns along with a fire. Sometimes I would drown in the memories and not even my mate's voice could pull me out. I'd been trying though, and I had refused to stay cooped up in that room once my wounds had healed enough.

"I have never gone to a ball before," I grinned, looking over to Az, "I'm very excited, Az had some dresses made for me as a surprise."

"Az?" Maeve scoffed, "Like our older grumpy brother Az? The one with no fashion sense?"

"It's not like I designed the dress," Said grumpy brother growled, "Deana made it so you know it will be good."

Fia grinned, "She is the best designer in the city. Whenever her style changes the others in the city have to change with her because everyone wants a dress like the one she makes."

"Some of them are too revealing for her to display though." Maeve huffed, rolling her eyes, "Too many males consider their mates and daughters property rather than an individual."

Fia grinned, "Most of her revealing outfits are worn at auction houses."

"Did you enjoy the club?" Maeve frowned, "Before everything happened that is."

"It was okay," I crossed my arms, remembering how both of the brothers avoided me that night and I ended up getting slapped and covered in wine, "I don't think I went with the right company."

"Is that so?" Maeve glared at her older brother, "What happened?"

"I'd-" I took a breath, "I'd rather not talk about it. Sorry."

"It's okay," She assured me, her gaze softening when she looked away from Azrael, "I understand."

~~~

"Are you ready?" The gravelly voice of my mate asked.

"Yes," I replied stiffly.

My nerves were all over the place, and I had a constant ache in my chest. It felt like a piece of me was missing. With a sigh I joined my mate and we left the bed chamber. Az had been tiptoeing around me, snapping at anyone who got too close or said something that might upset me.

"Where'd you go?" Az asked softly, drawing me out of my thoughts.

"I'm just excited to go home," I smiled and we continued down the stairs to the ball that had already begun.