Foes and Friends

Hello dear readers! I did skip past the rest of the week in the run because not much happened. Our lovely characters mostly sat and pouted at each other. Don't be mad. Enjoy the chapter!

"Bong!" The loud noise splintered through the air, declaring the end of the mating run.

Azrael and I were waiting outside the large wooden door that I had first exited from. The noise of the horn still ringing in my ears from being so close to the source of the sound. The last few days of the run had passed slowly, and I had spent most of my time coming to terms with the fact that my life was now changed forever. Azrael had done what he could to reassure me that my life at his estate would be easy.

The door creaked open and we began the walk up into the first chamber. When we entered the dimly lit room there was a stern faced male holding a clipboard and frowning. Next to him stood a short blonde female, her face equally stern.

"Names?" He asked gruffly, his eyes never leaving the papers in front of him.

"Aslin Vanders," I replied, watching as he quickly flipped through to find my name.

"Azrael Lobosin." Azrael stated, his arm curling around my waist possessively.

We had agreed to act as a normal mated pair in public, but I was uncomfortable being so close to a male I didn't know well. I stiffened against him, quickly melting into his body like a mate who was in love with their partner would. Footsteps sounded behind me and I peered around Azrael to see the bruised and bloodied face of the male that tried to take me.

"You!" He snarled, taking a step towards us, "You did this."

Azrael turned, keeping me tucked behind him, "You must be the male that tried to take her from me. You are very lucky that it was her who dealt with you. If I had been there I doubt you would still have all your limbs."

The stranger blanched, blood quickly draining from his face at the obvious threat. He exposed his neck quickly, submitting to the giant in front of him. Azrael snorted, rolling his eyes before turning back to the soldiers.

"Good to see you, Caran," He nodded to the male, before addressing the blonde, "Rana."

"Lord Azrael," They replied in unison, baring their necks as was custom when conversing with someone of a higher rank.

The female turned to the neatly organized rack beside her, filled with various clothing. She flipped through it quickly before removing the clothes I had been lent by Sel. The blonde also grabbed a black suit along with dark brown boots, handing it to Azrael before giving me my clothes and flat heeled shoes. Azrael glanced down at me with a frown before we were instructed to change in the next room, the door shutting with an audible click.

"Who did you get those from?" He asked, pulling on his trousers.

I pulled on the too large shirt, "Sel, he was kind enough to give them to me after my dress was ruined."

"And how did it get ruined?" He growled, his gray eyes bleeding black.

"I killed a troll," I replied, pulling on the black pants and walking into the next chamber without waiting for him.

"You what?" He snapped. Quickly following me into the next empty room.

"Casi was hurt, and Dran and Sel were occupied with the four trolls they were fighting," I shrugged, "One snuck up behind me and grabbed me so I ripped out its throat."

"They didn't protect you?" He asked, his voice low and growly.

I frowned, spinning on my heel to face him, "They did protect me, I will not have you insult them like this. They were all kind to me, and you have no right to judge when you weren't there."