Part 8

Stevie was writing down a list of things she needed for Luke's birthday, pretending that she wasn't listening to Lindsey's side of the conversation over the phone, he was currently having with his wife, in the other room. Stevie tried avoiding running into Mrs. Buckingham the best she could. Kristen showed up a couple of times during the recording of Say You Will and then on the tour. There had been a few events over the years, where Kristen came as Lindsey's plus one. She had even attended several of Luke's birthdays. Stevie always behaved, smiled politely and made small talk, but that was as much as she could handle. What she didn't enjoy was hearing the Buckinghams fighting. Of course Kristen never knew about it, Stevie just happened to be around sometimes. After those heated phone calls, Lindsey unfortunately felt like he had to share. She didn't know, what was it he expected from her. Did he expect her to side with him, call his wife horrible names? Stevie had never done that, at least not to Lindsey's face, and she never would.

A heavy sigh came from Lindsey and Stevie glanced at him over her shoulder. She kept her lips sealed. Clearly irritated, Lindsey slumped down beside her and sat hunched over, his hands clasped in front of him.

"Lindsey?" Stevie realized he hadn't heard a word. "Linds?" She repeated his name again and placed her hand on his shoulder.

"Hm?" He turned his head to face her. "What?"

"I've been trying to discuss the theme with you, but you seem to be somewhere else." She gave him a sympathetic look and dropped the pen she was holding in her hand.

"I'm sorry." Lindsey sighed, leaning back against the couch. "It almost feels like she called on purpose, knowing I was here."

"You know, I hate listening to you bitch about your wife to me." Stevie looked at him pointedly. "I have a feeling that I'm gonna have to, though."

"She's been a bitch to me for weeks!" Lindsey pointed at himself. "We had a fight last week after I'd told her, I was going to your place to plan my son's goddamn birthday party. Since then, she's been picking fights over the smallest things. I'm so fucking tired, Steph." He hung his head low, fixing his eyes on the floor, staring without blinking. 

"Well, if it's causing problems, you don't have to be here." Stevie shrugged and he looked up at her again. 

"Why shouldn't I be here?" Lindsey asked, not really expecting an answer. "I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm not here to- to screw around with you. She doesn't believe that. She hears your name and goes fucking mental."

"Don't you think that after 7 years of marriage, you and your wife should no longer be having arguments about me?" Stevie asked, sounding somewhat careful. "Can't you just... I don't know, let her have things her way?"

Lindsey scoffed, shaking his head. "You realize what that means, don't you? If Kristen could have things her way, I'd no longer be a part of Fleetwood Mac, I would never get to see you and Luke again."

Stevie did know that and she would hate if it came to that. "I honestly don't know what to tell you."

"You don't have to say anything." Lindsey shrugged weakly. "I'm sorry, I said anything."

Then the doorbell rang. Lindsey gave Stevie a questioning look as she stood up. She wasn't expecting anyone. Her whole body went numb, when she opened the door. She was not ready for this moment yet.

"Wha- what are you doing here? I wasn't expecting you." Stevie stuttered, swallowing uneasily.

"Hello to you, too." Eliot laughed, stepping over the threshold to pull her into his arms for a hug and a kiss. 

"I'm sorry." Stevie smiled sheepishly, rising to stand on her tiptoes to peck him on the lips. "I, uh... I have company." She said, taking Eliot's hand, she walked him into the living room. "Eliot, this is Lindsey." Lindsey turned to look and gulped as his eyes settled on the man. "Lindsey, this is Eliot."

Fan-fucking-tasting, Lindsey thought, standing up to shake hands with Stevie's newest love interest.