Part 20

The majority of the guests had gone home by 8 pm or so. The closest friends and family were still around, which naturally irked Eliot. Not Stevie's brother or her niece, not her backup singers, who were like sisters to her. Lindsey. Lindsey was annoying the hell out of Eliot. He had watched him and Stevie together for hours; they took pictures with Luke, they rounded up the kids for cake, they sang happy birthday. Together. Together all the time. Eliot had never considered himself to be a jealous man, but he couldn't help it, when it was right there in front of him. Until today, he hadn't seen much of Stevie with Lindsey, he wasn't prepared to see innocent touches here and there or hear her laughing at another man's jokes. Eliot was under the impression that there was no love lost between them, that they tolerated each other for Luke's sake. Clearly, he got that one wrong.

"Is there anything else I can do to help?" Lindsey asked Stevie, who was throwing used paper plates and plastic cups into a trash bag. 

"Don't worry about it, I have a lot of extra hands." Stevie glanced at him with a smile, his face fell. "Linds?"

"Hm?"

"What's up?" She asked, turning to face him. "It's not that I don't want you here, but really, I've got this."

"It's... not that." Lindsey shrugged, shaking his head. 

"Then what is it?" Stevie wrapped her fingers around his upper arm, trying to get him to look at her.

Sighing heavily, Lindsey looked around to make sure they were alone. "I had an awesome day today. I felt a part of something, you know? Everyone had a great time, everyone laughed and just... enjoyed being together. I-" He lowered his eyes, swallowing uneasily. "I don't get to experience this a lot." 

Stevie dropped whatever she was holding and pulled him into her arms, surprising him. "Don't say that. It hurts me hearing you say things like that."

"It's true." Lindsey spoke into the curve of her neck, his arms locked around her waist. "I know, my problems aren't yours to fix, but lately, you're the only person I feel comfortable sharing with, opening my heart to."

Realizing that they weren't actually alone, Stevie gently pushed at his shoulders and took a step back. "How can I help you?"

"You don't have to ask me that." Lindsey shook his head, sticking his hands in the pockets of his jeans. "I'll be fine. I'll leave and go home, lock myself in the studio." He laughed without much humor in his voice. "I don't even have anyone to fight with at home, since Kristen conveniently took the kids to her parents' for the weekend."

"Stay here tonight." Stevie blurted it out so fast, she didn't even stop and think what she was offering. "I mean, if you want to."

"What?" Lindsey creased his eyebrows. "No, I- I couldn't. Eliot-"

"I'll deal with him, don't worry about it." Stevie assured. "I would hate to see you go like this."

"Are you sure?" Lindsey wasn't. Of course, he wanted to, but he couldn't really show his excitement.

"Yes." Stevie nodded and proceeded to clean up as if nothing happened.

Eliot came out into the back garden some time later. As soon as Stevie saw him approaching her, she told Lindsey, she would be right back. Taking Eliot by the hand, she led him back into the house and into an empty room, she closed the door.

"What's going on?" Eliot asked, raising an eyebrow. 

"You're not gonna like this, but hear me out." Stevie began, already wringing her hands. "I want to be completely honest with you, so you don't get the wrong idea later. Lindsey-" Here we go, Eliot rolled his eyes, folding his arms over his chest. "He's going through a tough time. He's all alone and I would hate to see him leave and go back to an empty house tonight. I kind of told him that he could stay here tonight. Just tonight."

"What?" Eliot scoffed, now frowning. "Are you serious?"

"Don't get upset, please." Stevie took a step towards him, but kept her hands to herself. "I just want to help him out. It's our son's birthday and-"

"And Luke's birthday has nothing to do with you wanting to spend time with you ex." Eliot shook his head. "Honestly, what is going on? I had to watch you two the whole day and now you're telling me, I have to leave, so he can stay?"

"You don't have to leave." Stevie said, unsure of why he thought so. "Lindsey's just-"

"You're crazy if you think I'm going to stay now." Eliot held up his hands, sensing that she was going to try and ease the tension by coming closer. "I don't like this. The way I see it, there is no place for him in our relationship, which is what you've told me also by the way."

"It's not like that!" Stevie insisted. "Why are you making such a big deal out of this?"

"It is a big deal, especially because you can't see what's happening here." Eliot emphasized, heading for the door.

"What do you mean?" Stevie walked fast behind him as Eliot marched towards the front door. 

"Figure out what it is you really want. Or rather, who." Eliot added. "If I haven't made myself perfectly clear, I'm not okay with that special bond you and he have." He said, using air quotes, and slammed the door on his way out.