Part 42

Breakfast at Eliot's brother's house was a completely different story. Lawrence sat at the head of the table, his wife and youngest daughter on his left and on the right were Diane and Eliot. No one was talking, tense silence surrounded the kitchen. Eliot had barely touched the food on his plate, which had surely gone cold by now. Everyone was uncomfortable and things only got worse, when Diane cleared her throat and spoke up. 

"Now why are you pouting?" Diane asked, placing her fork down gently on her plate. "You're acting as if someone died."

"Don't start." Eliot frowned shaking his head. 

"I mean, honestly, what did you expect, dear?" Diane continued, taking a sip of water. "You knew, who you were bringing home, Eliot."

"What's that supposed to mean?" His clenched fist banged loudly on the table. 

"Can you please not-" Lawrence attempted to defuse the situation, but Eliot talked over him.

"I knew exactly who I was bringing here." Eliot emphasized. "An absolutely wonderful person, who's done nothing wrong to you. What made you think it was okay to say all those things? Didn't you think that Stevie could hear you?"

"I didn't say anything that terrible." Diane shrugged, unfazed. "Or something that wasn't true."

Lawrence exchanged a look with his wife and mouthed, I'm sorry. "You don't know her. Lawrence told me exactly what you said and I'm not surprised that Stevie didn't want to be here anymore."

Diane scoffed, picking up her fork to finish her breakfast. "She left because you lied to her. Why didn't you tell her about Samantha, huh? Do you still have feelings for-"

"Oh my God!" Eliot breathed out heavily, pushing back his char. "I didn't say anything because I didn't think she'd be here! She had no business being here." He narrowed his eyes at his brother. "I've finally met someone, who I genuinely like, and thanks to the both of you she fled."

"You cannot put all of the blame on us." Lawrence shook his head. "It's your fault that you weren't completely honest with your girlfriend. Yes, I should have doublechecked with you and no, mom shouldn't have said those things, but did you seriously expect for Stevie to never find out? Forget Samantha, but Liz? She's your kid, Eliot."

"I would have told her." Eliot insisted.

"You say that now." Diane faced her son. "This relationship was doomed from the beginning. Come on, Eliot, you can do so much better. Do you really want to be a father to someone else's child? I mean-"

"Luke has a father! Christ!" His breathing heavy, he thought of kicking a chair or flipping over the table he was so angry. "Stevie was right to worry. I never expected you to treat her like this." Eliot shook his head as he turned to leave.

"Says you!" Diane had to get the last word.

Seething, Eliot walked out and ran up the stairs, taking two at a time. He entered the room, which he was supposed to share with Stevie, quickly gathered his things and was on his way out. He didn't know how yet, but he was determined to get her back.

~

AN: So... will Eliot succeed?