Part 16

Early April, 1998

~

Stevie breathed out heavily as she turned onto her back and rubbed at her tired eyes. She had trouble falling asleep for the past month or so. Constantly anxious, she mostly lay in bed, afraid of taking a longer trip than from the bed to the bathroom. She had her assistant in the house, but Karen wasn't exactly what Stevie needed by her side right now. 

As she lay awake, Stevie remembered the time many years ago, when she was working as a waitress, coming home exhausted yet unable to sleep most of the nights. Lindsey, usually after a day of playing his guitar and smoking joint after joint, used to come to bed with her and hold her, softly singing her to sleep. He always succeeded. That was what she needed.

Checking the time, Stevie considered calling Lindsey out of sheer desperation to get some rest. If she did, she'd only prove him right - she couldn't do this without him. But it wasn't for her, it was for the baby, right? As the thought crossed her mind, she felt a kick and placed her hand over the spot, rubbing it gently. Even their unborn child was pushing her to pick up the phone.

So, she did. Stevie wasn't surprised that she had to wait for some time until there was finally an answer on the other end. 

"'ello?" 

"It's me."

"Stevie?" Some shuffling around. "Are you okay? Is it time? It's too early! I'm coming over-"

"Relax." Stevie cut in. "I'm fine. The baby is fine."

A heavy sigh of relief. "Why are you calling me in the middle of the night?" It didn't sound like Lindsey was annoyed that she had interrupted his likely peaceful sleep.

"I, uh..." Stevie paused, attempting to sit up against the headboard. "I just..."

"What? What is it? What's going on?" Lindsey asked. His voice was much lower now and it almost sounded like he was covering his mouth as he spoke. 

"I can't fall asleep. I don't do anything during the day, I don't exhaust myself, so I can't fall asleep at night and it's driving me crazy." Stevie replied, feeling tears of frustration welling up in her eyes.

"What can I do to help? I could come over, you know..." He suggested, knowing the answer to that without her saying anything. "Just until you-" He paused midsentence and she thought, she heard him shushing someone. "Until you're asleep."

"Is there someone with you?" Stevie asked.

As far as she knew, Lindsey wasn't with Kristen. Then again, she didn't bother asking because she didn't want to know. Several months ago, she saw them together at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, but the next time they saw each other, he swore, Kristen was just his plus one that night and that they weren't a couple. 

"What?" Lindsey pretended not to have heard her question.

"You were just shushing someone." Stevie said. "Are you- is- is she-"

"Stevie, please, don't freak-"

"Oh, God!" Stevie wished she hadn't called. "I'm such an idiot!"

"No, no you're not." Lindsey rushed to say. "Please, don't hang up."

"Lindsey, I'm trying to sleep here."

Stevie heard Kristen's voice in the background and the tears were now rolling down her cheeks. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have c-called. I won't make this mistake again."

"No, Stevie! Please-"

She hung up the phone. 

~

AN: I hope you're not too bored, but we've only got two more chapters from the past and we're back to present day. Thank you for reading, I love your comments ♥