Part 40

"Don't tempt me." Lindsey sighed, shaking his head as he looked away.

"No." Stevie held his face in her hands, making him look at her. "I'm not. I want you here. I... I want you. I want you here tonight and every night."

Lindsey gulped, staring at her. She's had a few glasses, she's emotional, she's upset. "You- you don't know what you're saying."

"Yes, I do." Stevie nodded, tracing his bottom lip with the pad of her thumb. "I do. When you told me about your divorce, I got scared, you were right. Nothing stands in our way if we want to give us another chance and that is the part that terrifies me. I've loved you my whole life." She smiled weakly, blinking away tears. "I loved you 35 years ago, I loved you 10 years ago, I loved you yesterday and I love you today." Lindsey hung his head low and a few tears escaped. She lifted his head up again and pressed a sweet, gentle kiss to his lips. "I'll love you tomorrow, I'll love you always. I just- I couldn't survive losing you again. If I let you back into my heart, you can never leave. If you're here now, you have to stay here forever."

His eyes watery and red, Lindsey tried hard to control himself. He wasn't sure if he wanted to break down and cry or to pull her close and kiss her until they were both breathless. 

"You have no idea, how long I've been waiting to hear you say that." Lindsey could only whisper, slipping his fingers in her hair, he decided to kiss her. "I wish we never had to separate." He said, pressing his forehead to hers. "I wish we could have had the life I lived with someone else, I wish-"

"Don't do that." Stevie shook her head slightly, her hands on his neck, she tilted her chin up a little to lightly kiss his lips again. "We don't have to go back in time. It happened and there's nothing we can do about that. What we can change, though, is the future. Our future."

"I love you." He smiled, relieved, feeling as if a heavy weight had been lifted off his chest.

"I love you." She echoed and pulled back to get up, she held out her hand for him to take. 

Shortly, they were in the master bedroom. Stevie made sure the door was locked before she closed the small gap between them and rose on her tiptoes to give him a proper kiss. Articles of clothing were soon being dropped on the floor until there were none left. He walked her backwards until the back of her knees hit the foot of the bed. She scooted up higher to the headboard and he followed on his knees then lay in between her thighs as she welcomed him on top of her.

They didn't rush. He went up and down her body, making sure that there wasn't a spot left unattended by his lips. Tears welled up in her eyes again as she watched him, as she felt his love for her. There was no one else, there had never been anyone else, who absolutely worshiped her like he did. 

"Come here." She touched his shoulder to catch his attention. "It's awfully lonely up here." She smiled and so did he, leaning in to kiss her. 

They made love for the first time 10 years. They hadn't felt so connected in 10 long years. Slowly, he reassured her that the words he'd said to her weren't just that - he felt and meant them. While she was unsure of what the future held for them as a couple, she had no doubts that she was still in love with him as he was with her.