Part 36

"So, how did you and Eliot meet?" A woman, who had introduced herself as Samantha, was currently sitting next to Stevie. She hadn't had a peaceful moment yet.

"Oh, uh." Stevie smiled a little. "It's not a super romantic story or anything." She shrugged, picking up her glass of wine. "I was booked for a private event and he was there. He kept following me around until I gave in and wrote down my number."

"How do you do it?" Samantha asked, seemingly genuinely interested. "I mean, you have such a successful career, you're recording albums and touring and raising a son on your own." 

"Well, no, not on my own." Stevie shook her head. "Luke's father is very much around."

"Right! That's Lindsey Buckingham, isn't it?" Samantha spoke so loudly, Stevie was becoming a little uncomfortable. She didn't want everyone to know her complete life story. 

"Correct." Stevie nodded.

Stevie hadn't seen Lindsey in over a week. She asked him to give her some space. She thought about him every day, though, and the things he said, about the kiss that made her melt into his arms. The truth was, she didn't know how to respond to his declaration of love. Of course she loved him too, but did she love him enough still to break up with Eliot? She couldn't be sure that they'd make it work this time. They might be happy for a month or a year, but she was afraid that they'd eventually go back to how they used to be; constantly angry with each other, picking fights over nothing. She wouldn't survive another breakup with Lindsey, that much she knew.

"My ex is a different story." Samantha scoffed, knocking back her drink. "I've barely seen him after the divorce. I mean, I don't have to, but he could at least visit our daughter."

"Oh, I'm sorry. How old is your daughter?" Stevie asked and Samantha looked at her for a moment before replying as if studying her facial expression. 

"She's 15." Samantha turned and looked around for a minute, then pointed to a tall, slender brunette. "That's Eliza." 

"What a pretty name." Stevie smiled. "If you don't mind me asking, how do you know the family? Are you a relative, a neighbor or..."

Across the yard, Eliot was talking to Lawrence, unaware of the conversation between Stevie and Samantha. Not until Lawrence nudged him in the side and tipped his head in the direction of the two women.

"Oh, shit." Eliot cursed and rushed towards them. "Here you are." Eliot interrupted Samantha, who was telling Stevie that she was an old friend of the family.

"Yeah, here I am." Stevie said. "I haven't moved an inch since your mother sat me down." 

"I'm sorry, I hope she didn't grill you too bad." Eliot apologized, bending down a little to kiss the top of her head. "Why don't I show you our room for the night?"

Stevie moved to stand up, but Samantha couldn't keep quiet. "So, you haven't told her, have you?"

Eliot froze. Stevie faced him, frowning slightly, she then looked at Samantha, who remained seated, smirking.

"Tell me what?" Stevie asked. "What were you supposed to tell me?" She added, when he stayed silent. "Eliot?"

"Come on." Eliot said, taking her hand.

Stevie had to practically run to keep up with Eliot's big strides. He walked them into the house and turned to head upstairs. Stevie kept asking, but he chose to keep his mouth shut. They reached their room and Eliot pushed the door open, he then closed it again as soon as Stevie was in the room.

"What's going on?" Stevie tried again, her arms folded over her chest. 

"We should unpack, don't you think?" Eliot grabbed his small suitcase and placed it on the bed.

"No, I think, you should tell me, whatever it is Samantha was talking about." Stevie shook her head. "What's the big secret?"

"There's no secret!" Eliot yelled out, then immediately apologized. "I didn't say anything because I didn't think she'd be here. For some reason, she insists on still being a part of this family." He sighed, slumping down on the bed. "She's just- gah, she makes my blood boil."

"Who is she?" Stevie stood in front of him, expecting some answers. "I thought, she's an old family friend like she told me."

Eliot breathed in deeply and looked up. "She is, because we were married."

"Excuse me?" Stevie wasn't sure she heard that right. "She- what?"

"She's my ex-wife. It was an ugly marriage and a much uglier divorce. I didn't want to tell you, because there's no point!" Eliot shook his head. 

"So, instead you lied to me." Stevie scoffed. "I've asked you this question. I've asked if you'd been married before, if you had any kids-" Eliot looked away. "Oh my God! Eliza is your daughter, isn't she?" He nodded. "I- I don't know what to say. I would have never guessed judging by the way you interacted with that poor girl earlier."

"It's complicated, okay?" Eliot sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. 

"You lied to me about ever being married and I also find out that you're a deadbeat father?" Stevie was in shock. Her biggest fear coming here was that his family wasn't going to accept her, she expected nothing like this.

"I'm not!" Eliot shouted, shaking his head. "It's- it's her!" He emphasized and Stevie guessed that her was Samantha. "She did absolutely everything in her power to turn my daughter against me as soon as our marriage started falling apart. She told Liz all these lies and she's was just a child, she still is! Samantha-"

"And you don't want to change your daughter's mind about any of it?" Stevie interrupted, her eyes narrowed at him. "You're proving her right, you know."

"You don't know what you're saying." Eliot gritted his teeth, his whole body tense. "I've tried my best-"

"Like hell you have. If I-" Stevie lay a hand on her chest. "Was in a situation like this, nobody would stop me from showing my son that he means the world to me."

"Stevie-"

"No." Stevie held up her hands, when he tried to approach her. "No, I'm done with this conversation. I-" She paused, shaking her head at him. "Who are you?"