Only You - I

In the beginning, grief is a fog; a thick, dense, and never-ending barrier between you and the world as you once knew it. At one point, you figured it would lift, as fog tends to do, but after days and then weeks spent under its heavy cloak, you begin to wonder if it's become a part of your everyday life.

In those moments, one might have thought, "All I want is to feel better". Because you want to feel normal, whatever that may mean. Yet the simplicity of a 'normal' existence seems unfathomable. Impossible even.

Grief is funny. We desperately want it to go away, except for sometimes when you don't want it to go away.

Over the course of time, it seems love has gotten all mixed up with pain and grief. We realize our pain has become the expression of love lost; the way we honor our loved one; the one consistent link between life with them, and life without them. And an element of proof that their life left an indelible mark on those they leave behind.

When Perrie died, the grief and pain came in waves for Jade. She feels as though she will die and then suddenly, she feels empty and nothing. She feels like it hurts to breathe. She feels crazy. To say that she feels broken inside is an understatement. But she goes on living with her life, finding ways to bring Perrie back.

Right now, Jade is in the living room reading a book while eating a salad when she hears a hum. At first, the humming was just soft and low, and she thinks it's the breeze since her windows are open. It's almost two o'clock in the morning but she couldn't sleep, so she decided to read a book about modern-day technology.

She got up to close the windows. As she was nearing the window, she felt the cold chill of the air outside, an indication that winter has passed and spring is on its way.

Jade went back to reading. After a few minutes, there it is again...the humming. Jade stopped reading and listened carefully to the tune. When the sound was clear, she got goosebumps from the back of her neck to her arms. She knows that melody. It's the same song she first sang to Perrie when they were at JJ's house making pancakes – Only You, that's the song!

The humming became louder and louder. It wasn't an upbeat hum either, but a soft, slow hum that echoed throughout the house. She knows the sound isn't coming from the living area where she was. But she's sure it comes from somewhere inside the house.

Jade stood up and decided to follow where the humming was coming from. Her heart was starting to pick up the pace as she neared the entrance of her basement where the humming was the loudest. And it didn't help that she was all alone.

She was standing in front of the door that leads to her basement where all of her research, experiments, and formulas were kept along with the fridge where Perrie's body is kept.

She was hesitant to open the door as her hand hovered above the doorknob. She closed her eyes for a brief second and released a breath she'd been holding before she touched the door handle and twisted it open.

Jade slowly descended the stairs. The humming grew louder as her heart was beating harder and faster in her chest. But when she saw her whole basement, no one was there. Just her things. She stopped at the bottom of the steps. What's odd is that the humming stopped, too.

She looks at the machine where Perrie was preserved in liquid nitrogen. The front was clear glass, made to withstand the cold temperature without cracking. She makes her way to the cryostasis chamber and heaves a deep breath as she observes the blonde who looks like she was just sleeping soundly.

Jade stared at Perrie for a while. But to her surprise, Perrie's icy blue eyes suddenly open and stare straight into her soul.

Jade gasps!