Before Dawn - III

"Ten nights with who?" Taylor asks without even looking up at Jade, too engrossed at the book that she's reading.

Taylor was visiting Jade and stayed in a hotel in Vegas just like what she always does after she's been to different places. After spending literally decades with each other every once in a while, it's no surprise that they treat each other as though they were siblings.

Jade was looking out the hotel window, a habit of hers that she's gotten used to over time, whenever she tells Taylor a story of what went on while she was gone. Jade turns around to find Taylor comfortably lounging on her couch, reading a book.

"You're not even listening!" Jade whined. Stomping her foot and matching it with a pout.

Taylor shuts the book and sits up straight. "I am listening. I just...didn't get her name?"

"Perrie Edwards."

"Perrie Edwards..." Taylor echoes the name when she suddenly remembers something. "Wait...I know that name–"

"Yeah, she's pretty famous. Gorgeous billionaire."

"I heard, the youngest billionaire. Gorgeous huh?" Taylor teases. "Coming from you who barely compliments someone or anyone for that matter. She must be one hell of a gorgeous woman!"

Jade was speechless. Taylor is right though. Jade really hasn't voiced out any praises for anyone. So, why was this woman making her spit out compliments like Oprah giving out cars to everybody? All while Jade was having a narrative in her head, Taylor was observing her.

"So...you lost and you owe her ten nights?"

Jade groans. "That's what I've been telling you!"

"You never lost in poker or in any game. Not even once. Your instincts are always spot on. It's like...Chef's kiss perfection." Taylor narrows her eyes at the brunette. "Hold on a second. You purposely did it, didn't you? You cheated in the game to lose. You know what the losing cards are, and you picked them so she'd win. You like her."

Taylor finished her sentence with a huge grin on her face as she leans back on the couch and grabs the book again – a gesture that Jade knows their conversation was over, there's no point arguing or denying.

Jade sighs. "That's the weird part. And actually, yeah...that was my plan – pick the losing cards. But..." she sits beside Taylor on the couch. "I tried to sense which one is the losing card the whole time, but my senses were obscured. For some weird reason...I–I couldn't sense which card I should pick, which never happened before."

Taylor nods in agreement. "Understandable. You lost your concentration because the gorgeous billionaire was in front of you."

"No–"

"Shh!" Taylor cuts Jade off before she could say anything further. This made Jade turn her head to Taylor who looked like she was listening intently at something, shutting her eyes in the process. Then, a few seconds later, Taylor opens her eyes and returns her attention to the book she's reading. "Confirmed."

Confused, Jade asks, "Confirmed what?"

"Your heartbeat is abnormally fast. Quite similar to a heartbeat while running on a treadmill. I can hear it pumping away while you're thinking of the gorgeous billionaire," Taylor explains. "It's because liking someone triggers the flight reaction in the body. This reaction diverts blood to the essential organs such as your heart."

Jade was speechless yet again at Taylor's words.

"You're such a nerd!" Jade gently shoves Taylor to the side and stands up to get some wine before returning by the window.