Only You - II

Jade was vacuuming her carpet in the living room when her doorbell rang.

In a hi-tech house in the 25th century, there's normally a DNA-scanner outside, it helps homeowners identify who's the person knocking even before they open it. An added security feature that Jade didn't bother to install in her home because there's only two people who like to invade her house every now and then – Jesy and Leigh-Anne.

But this time, it wasn't either of the two.

When she opened the door, it was her neighbor, the grandma with her 7-year-old grandson. Their car was parked in front of her house, with the grandpa waving at her, and waiting for his wife and grandson.

"Hello, Jade! We're so sorry to disturb you," the old woman greets her. "We're headed to the city and I thought I'd give you these." She shows her a basket full of tomatoes.

"Oh, Mary, you didn't have to–"

"It's fine...I insist. We just harvested these yesterday from our garden, there are so many of them in our car, and we're going to bring some to my daughter. Please, take them."

Jade's smile widens as she looks at the tomatoes that look fresh and ripe. "Thank you so much. These are...more than enough for me, actually."

"Oh, aren't you living with the other ladies?"

"Oh no, they're just my visitors. They're from Exobase City."

"Well, you can always bake tomato cake the next time your friends visit you," Mary suggests.

"I love tomato cake!" The kid chimed in, which made Mary and Jade look at him.

Jade smiles at the kid, "Don't worry, Drew. I'll bring one whole cake for ya!" she assured him as she ruffled his hair a little.

Drew grins wide at her, "I'd love that! When your visitors come back, will you say 'Hi' for me?" Jade and Drew's grandma laughed at this.

"He likes pretty girls," Mary whispers loud enough for Drew to hear.

"I only like one of them," he admits, his cheeks turning a bright shade of red. "She's the prettiest!"

"Oh no, young man, you don't compare girls from other girls. That's not what a gentleman would do." His grandma reprimands him before turning her attention back to Jade. "We should go, my daughter is waiting for us."

Jade nods, "Thanks again, Mary!"

As Mary and Drew were headed back to their car, Drew turned around again to shout, "Don't forget to say 'Hi' for me, okay?" Jade nods and smiles at him. "I really like the blonde lady with blue eyes! She's always waving at me from that room whenever we pass by your house!" Drew points to the room on the second floor of her house – Jade's room.

Jade's smile slowly faltered after hearing the kid. She wasn't able to answer right away because the car drove off already. Her heart started to beat fast.

"That's impossible," Jade whispers to herself.

She went back inside her house and placed the basket of tomatoes on the kitchen counter. She sat on the stool for a while, staring at the tomatoes, recalling how she laughed after learning that Perrie likes tomatoes so much. Of all the vegetables and fruits in the world, she picked the tomato.

Jade shakes her head and decides to go up to her room and bring with her a tomato.

She didn't believe Drew. Kids tend to have the wildest imaginations. How can he see Perrie? She's in her basement, for crying out loud! She's cold and frozen! And if the kid saw Perrie's ghost, why was she only showing herself to the kid and not her?