The Aftermath - VIII

The top two floors of Disora's building were transformed right before Perrie launched the pharmaceutical products. The top floor was her lab, conveniently near the helipad; while the floor below it, she turned into an apartment, mostly because she stayed in her lab for more than a month.

She didn't think much of it and had two extra bedrooms in the studio-type space open for her employees who wish to stay the night while working on the lab with her.

All that effort into modifying the two top floors didn't go to waste after Caitlyn passed. She now used it as their safehouse right after the recent attack. Jesy and Anne-Marie were staying in one of those rooms, while Leigh-Anne and Jade were staying in the other. And since Taylor doesn't sleep at all, she chooses to stay on the rooftop as their protector every single evening.

They were all working that night, experimenting on different kinds of substances that will serve as their weapon against demons or whatever type of creature that may come their way. It won't kill their enemies, but it can be lethal to them.

Perrie's directing everyone since she knows the formula and composition of the bombs. Jade can't help but be amazed at how Perrie's passion is shedding light into the darkness.

Jade and Leigh were working together on a different table opposite Perrie, Jesy, and Anne-Marie when Leigh noticed the burn mark on Jade's wrist that the demon left behind.

"That doesn't seem right." Leigh comments, her eyes fixated on the brunette's wrist.

"What?" Jade asks without looking at Leigh-Anne. She's so busy with the task she was given that she thought nothing of Leigh's remark.

"You don't get burned. You're fireproof. How did you get that burn on your wrist?" Leigh quizzes her.

Jade stopped whatever she was doing to look at her friend. Leigh was being suspicious so she grabbed Jade's wrist to take a good look at the burn.

"Uh–"

Jade just let Leigh examine the burn. When her friend was done, she looked at Jade with a concerned look on her face.

"I know this mark." Jade withdrew her arm and continued what she was doing. "Please tell me you have a plan – a good plan."

Jade shrugged. "Don't worry. I'm trying to think of one."

Leigh sighs. "Does Perrie know?"

Jade briefly glances at Perrie then returns her attention to Leigh-Anne. "No. But...I'll tell her."

"You better." Leigh says, in a tone where Jade understood that if she didn't follow what she said, she'll get an earful of it. Jade resumed her task as if the burn mark meant nothing. But Leigh knows just by observing the brunette that there was something else that she's hiding. "Promise me, you won't do anything stupid."

Jade stops for a second to look at her worried friend and slightly nods at her.

The night, unlike most nights, was far too exhausting for most of them. That's why Jesy, Anne-Marie, and Leigh retired to their beds early. But Perrie couldn't sleep, so she was left in her lab. While Jade decided to get some fresh air on the balcony.

It didn't take long before Jade heard footsteps coming from behind her. She could also hear it stop a few feet away from her. And she knows exactly who it is.

"Sorry to invade your privacy..."

Jade slightly turned her head when she heard Perrie spoke. It was sort of Perrie's cue that it's alright for her to stand next to Jade.