017

After 30 minutes, they arrived at Hawkins Memorial Hospital.

They went to the fourth floor for the labor and delivery unit. Half on the fourth floor was used for delivery purposes, while a smaller side of the floor was used for ultrasound appointments.

The fifth floor of the hospital was where the babies who were born early, had health problems, or had a difficult birth would go to the neonatal intensive care unit.

"Hello, I'm Julia Wallace. I have an appointment today," Julia said nervously to the receptionist.

The receptionist looked at Julia and then at Steve, who was standing behind her.

Julia swore she saw the receptionist lightly shake her head before she started to type something into the computer. 

"Here, fill out these forms," the receptionist named Kelly said, hanging Julia a stack of papers.

"Thank you," Julia whispered as she got the papers and a pen that was at the front desk.

Steve followed beside her, looking around. He had never been to this part of a hospital before. There are a lot of inspirational posters on the walls. The walls were painted a beige color.

There was a small coffee table that had several magazines about the latest fashion and a few brochures on what to expect when you're expecting. 

Steve grabbed three different brochures.  One was about nutrition and what a pregnant woman should eat during her pregnancy. 

The brochure with the pink cover displays a pregnant woman with her two hands on her big bump. The brochure was about the stages of the three trimesters.

The last one was the one that got his attention first. The title said '10 things you can do to be a good dad.' On the cover was a couple on a bed with their baby smiling in the middle. The father was holding the baby's tiny hand. Steve moved his index finger through the picture that was going to be him one day with his child.

He didn't imagine he would be a father this young, but here he was.

Things don't always go as one intends; they might even turn out better than what we wanted.

He smiled as he looked at Julia, who was filling out the forms.

After 25 minutes, a nurse called them in, "Julia Wallace," a young nurse with light brown hair said. The nurse looked around the waiting room.

Julia got up, holding the paper and smiled at the nurse.

Steve got up as well, dropping the brochures on the floor, forgetting he had placed them on his lap. He apologized and quickly picked them up.

The young pair went into a small room. The nurse went over the papers that Julia had given to her.

"Let's see how the baby is doing," the nurse said warmly.  "Please lay down," the nurse informed, pointing at the small bed in the corner.

Steve stood awkwardly by the door, not knowing where to go and not wanting to be in the way of the nurse.

The nurse chuckled lightly at him "you can stand next to her if you like," Rose the nurse said.

The nurse moved to a machine that was on the other side of the bed. She checked that everything was working, "Dr. Gray is busy right now. I'll be doing the ultrasound today. He will be the doctor that will deliver your baby. If you have any questions, you can ask him," Rose said kindly.

Julia only nodded as her hands shook lightly.

"Can you lift up your shirt for me, please," Rose asked. Julia did as she was told.

Her stomach was exposed as Rose placed a cold substance on her stomach.

Rose had something in her hand that looked like some type of microphone; she put it on top of her stomach and started to move it around gently.

"We recently got a sonogram ultrasound machine this year. It's very exciting when you're able to see your baby for the first time," Rose said with a big smile, looking at the machine.

Julia could tell how much Rose loved her job. Julia looked at the screen that Rose was looking at.

At first, Julia only saw black. Rose gently moved lower in her stomach then she started to see something else in the machine. It was the smallest thing. Julia covered her mouth with her hand.

It was too early to see the baby, but it was there. She couldn't believe it; things were getting more real.

She looked over at Steve. He was mesmerized looking at the screen. He was squinting his eyes. His head was slightly tilted as he was trying to find the shape of the baby.

"The baby looks good. You're still too early to fully see the baby. It looks like you might be five or six weeks."

With a napkin, she cleaned the slimy substance from Julia's stomach. "You can put your shirt down."

Julia sat up, putting her shirt down. Steve moved his hand to her shoulder.

Rose looked back at the pair. They looked young to be parents, and according to the paper that Julia filled out, her 18th birthday wasn't until a few more months.

It was not her place to judge them. She had her first child at 19, and it was hard. She thought she was not going to survive, but now she has four children who she adores and wouldn't live without.

"I'll tell Kelly to schedule your next appointment," Rose said, handing Julia the ultrasound.

Julia held the ultrasound in her hands as Steve leaned in closer.

That was their baby inside of her at that very moment

That was their baby inside of her at that very moment. It was such an odd experience to have an actual little human inside of you, growing and forming their little limbs day by day.

Steve smiled from ear to ear without realizing what he was doing and kissed the top of her head.

It felt like the right thing to do; she was having his child, after all.

And Julia didn't mind the kiss. She knew he didn't have any romantic feelings for her; it was just something he did in the moment.

She tried not to think too much about it. It would just make things more complicated than they already are.