025

The sun was shining brightly as Kim and Julia went into the mall.

Kim had a day off and wanted to spend her hard earned cash in all the stores she could.

As both girls looked around the stores, it reminded Julia of when both girls would go out every weekend last summer.

Kim would buy a new pair of shoes every other weekend.

Now instead of looking to buy something for herself she was looking to buy something for her baby.

Whenever she thought she had everything she needed, she would see something in the store and want to buy it for her child. There were so many cute clothes.

The girls pass by the food court where Steve was working. She smiled when she saw him in his cute sailor costume. He was attending a group of young girls.

"So when is the wedding," Kim casually asked.

Julia blinked a few times and turned her head to see her friend. It felt like she missed a whole conversation to get to this point.

"What wedding? Who is getting married?"

Kim continued walking as she said, "you and Steve, duh."

Julia creased her eyebrows in confusion "why would we get married," she asked, walking behind Kim leaving the food court behind.

"Because you two love each other and are going to have a child together in like a few weeks."

Julia caught up to Kim, and both girls walked next to each other. "I love Steve," she asked, unconvinced.

Kim rolled her eyes and looked at her best friend, giving her a look of are you serious. "It's so clear you two love each other," she said honestly.

"Love is a very strong word. I think what you are referring to is that I admire him."

She could get around that it was true she felt grateful to have him in her life. The last couple of months have not been easy on her body and on her mind. Every time she needed something, or she felt at her lowest point, or she thought she was going to die, he was there. 

"He's a great guy. He's helpful, funny, respectful, and he learns from his mistakes. He's not the same guy we saw fight Jonathan two years ago. He takes responsibility for his actions."

She listed all the qualities she liked in him, not noticing the big smile that was plastered on Kim's face.

"He inspires the kids," she said with glee. "He's Dustin's role model, and because of all of that, I know he will be a great dad to our child, and he's a good person to have around."

Kim positioned each of her hands on either side of Julia's shoulder, "Julia, I love you, but how can you not notice that you love the guy. The way that you are talking about him and the look in your eyes I haven't seen since the end of freshman year," Kim explained, slightly shaking the girl.

"I don't love him," she insisted, moving Kim's hands from her shoulders.

"How can you not. You two are already practically married. You two live in the same house."

"My father kicked me out."

"You guys sleep in the same bed," she added.

"Because the other room is going to be for the baby."

"You guys had sex," she said confidently, as if that was going to win her argument. People that were walking around them stared at the girls hearing Kim's last sentence.

"That was once, and look where that got me," she rested her hands on her large stomach.

She was definitely not going to mention how Steve saw her naked last week after she was done with her bath. It was an accident on his part.

She was done with her bath and was ready to get out; she had called Steve to help her. He opened the restroom door without knocking as she was barely getting the towel around her body. He was red in the face and stared at her for a little too long, making Julia blush.

She was definitely not going to tell her best friend about all of that; she would use that information against her and make a big deal out of it. Which truly it's not. She felt embarrassed at first because it was the first time Steve saw her naked while she was pregnant, but the way he was looking at her as if she was the most beautiful person in the world.

"Besides, everything you mentioned is irrelevant," she said, blushing a little remembering last week. "It doesn't mean that I love him. We spend a lot of time together because of the baby."

"That might be true, so what if he dates someone."

Julia glanced at Kim for a second and then back to the front "he can if he wants to," she said slowly.

She never thought about it. They weren't dating, at least, she thought they weren't. Last year that's what they agreed on to be friends and get to know each other better.

"You are such a liar, Jul. If he's this great guy, you should tell him how you feel."

"Wouldn't that just make things awkward between us if he doesn't feel the same way."

Kim shrugged "maybe, but at least you will know. And I like this guy not like your ex. He was such a weirdo." She scrunched her nose and stuck her tongue out in disgust.

"Stop, he's also a great guy. You didn't give him a chance. You didn't even want to get to know him."

"I didn't need to. Everyone in school knew who he was. I still can't believe you dated him." Kim laughed dryly "you dated Ed-"

"That's enough, Kim," Julia cuts her off. That's how all her conversations with Kimberly were when she dated her ex back during freshman year. She didn't like him, and she let her know every chance she got.

They only dated for a few months; they broke up during the summer before their sophomore year. They were too different, but that's what made her intrigued by him. Breaking up was for the better; she had to remind herself that during those sleepless nights when she would be crying her eyes out.

They didn't have the same classes the following years, and he had a new group of friends they rarely saw each other, which Julia was grateful for.

"Hey, isn't that Dustin," Kim asked, squinting her eyes pointing back at the food court.

Julia turned around to face the food court. She smiled brightly, seeing her friend. Dustin had gone to Camp Know Where all the month of June, but now he was back, she was happy to see him again.

"Go and say hi to your other child," Kim teased.

Julia gave Kim a side hug. "Oh, and don't forget. I want to go to the fair for the Fourth of July and invite Steve too."

Julia took a step back, breaking the hug, "I'll tell him, but I don't know if I want to go. I can't do anything there," Julia said with a sad expression.

Most of the games weren't appropriate for a pregnant woman.

"We can find something fun for the three of us to do."

"I'll call you."

"Bye, I love you Julia Wallace," Kim said, smiling brightly at her Kim's blue eyes shined with so much joy and life.

"I love you Kimberly," Julia said back, waving.