087

Friendships were sacred for the young Melody.

Her friends meant the world to her. She was lucky enough to find her people at a very young age. She found her two best friends, Jasmine and Eric, at the park when she was one year old. After that day, they were inseparable.

They would meet at the park almost once a week. They did sleepovers at each other's houses. And when the school year started, they attended the same elementary school.

That's why it broke her heart when her parents told her they were going to move to a different state.

The young girl didn't notice when her parents had packed everything. There were boxes all around the house. Her bedroom was almost empty.

Where was she when all of this happened?

She didn't want to move; she didn't want to be away from her friends. "Melody, we are moving tomorrow morning," Julia told her daughter.

The young girl shook her head. It couldn't be true. Tomorrow that was soon. She needed a plan; she couldn't go. She couldn't leave her friends.

"I don't want to," she yelled with tears in her eyes. She turned around and ran to the front door. She unlocked the door and opened it.

It was night time. The moon was shining up in the sky. "Melody, close the door." She didn't turn around and ran away. She ran as fast as her little legs could take her. She ran to the only place she knew, the park.

Tears ran down her face as she sat in the swing. Her little legs moved, hitting the grass underneath her. The little girl hated her life.

How could her parents do that to her?

She couldn't leave her friends. "Mel," a soft voice said from behind. It scared her at first, thinking it was one of her parents or a stranger, but soon enough she recognized the voice it was her friend Eric.

He walked to her and took a seat on the swing beside her. "I saw you run," he said. Eric lived across from the playground. He passed through his backyard to get to the park.

Melody's lip trembled, and she looked down. "Why are you crying," the young boy asked.

She began to cry harder. Eric didn't know what he did wrong; he wasn't sure why Melody was upset.

He kept her company until she was able to control her breathing and said, "I'm moving away."

"No," his voice cracked. He didn't want her to go. She was his best friend. Both kids stayed silently on the swings.

After a few minutes, Eric said, "We should go home."

Reluctantly Melody agreed she couldn't fight her parents; she didn't know where to run away.

The two young kids left the playground and went back to Melody's house.

Once they were there, Eric knocked on the front door quickly, and the door opened. "Steve, it's Melody," Julia yelled to her husband, who was on the phone talking to the police.

Julia kneeled and hugged her daughter. She brushed her brown hair back as Melody cried in her mothers arms.

"I was so scared of losing you, Mellow," Julia whispered to her daughter.

"I don't want to move," she sobbed quietly.

Julia kissed the top of her head. "I know, sweetheart, but your dad found a good job, and we get to have our own home."

Melody pushed her arms out, distancing herself from Julia. "I don't want a new home. I want to stay here, I want my friends." She pointed at Eric, who stood at the front door.

"You will make new friends-"

"I don't want new friends." Melody stomped her feet on the floor. It was a hard conversation to have with the young girl.

"Can I take Eric with me," she asked her mother.

Julia let out a small chuckle "he has to stay with his family here."

Melody shook her head and grabbed Eric's hand. "I want to be here."

Steve walked up to the front door. "Mellow, we will all miss our friends. We are going to have so many new adventures in the new place."

With his thumb, he caressed her chin. "We will come back to visit, I promise. We can visit Aunt Robin and your friend Eric."

Melody looked a little bit less sad and grabbed her father's big hand. "Do you promise?"

He extended his pinky to her, and she smiled, showing her teeth; she interlocked her pinky with his. "I promise," he said sweetly.

That night Melody shared a long hug with her friend and promised to call him every night. And they did once Melody was settled in her new bedroom, every time at 7 pm, she would call Eric.

They would talk for two hours every night. Their friendship continued and grew stronger as the months went by.

During the summer break the Harringtons would go back to Hawkins to visit their friends.

As they grew up. Melody began to feel differently about Eric. Her feelings were stronger, not of a simple friendship.

It was a feeling she had to deal alone, not wanting to share it with Eric and get rejected.

Because of that she talked with him less each day, and their friendship slowly grew apart.

Had she made a mistake by not telling him how she truly felt?

Could their friendship be mend, or was it too late for Melody and Eric.