037

Being an only child made Steve, from an early age, want a big family.

His perfect family would consist of three girls and three boys. When the nurse said his first baby was a girl, he felt overjoyed being closer to his perfect family. A family of his own.

He was a man of many things, but a crying one wasn't one of them. His father had taught him not to cry; it wasn't very manly of him. Steve disagreed with him.

He didn't feel bad or less of a man to cry when he saw his daughter for the first time.

A tear ran down his soft skin seeing his daughter's head full of dark hair just like his.

He gently squeezed Julia's hand "you did it Julia," Steve said with happy tears.

He looked down to see her, and when he did, he saw her pale face and her lips losing their rosy color. Her hand was losing its grip around his own.

"Julia," Steve said, her name slowly and with concern.

He twisted his head so quickly to look at the nurses he thought he gave himself whiplash. "S-something is wrong with Julia."

Luckily Rose was nearby, heard him between all the chaos, and walked toward the side of the bed.

The nurse moved him out of the way so she could have a closer look at Julia. She checked Julia's pulse; it was weak and slow. Julia was responsive not too long ago. Rose needed to find the cause of why Julia fainted.

In her line of work, she had seen a few new moms faint after delivery due to fatigue, but something told her this was different.

Steve saw another nurse rush towards Julia's body, and the doctor was back in the room; he didn't even notice when he left while a nurse stayed with his daughter.

His little girl was whining and moving her little arms. He had never seen someone so tiny.

It was hard for Steve to focus on his two girls, the most important people in his life.

He looked back at Julia; the doctor had found the problem.

There was blood between Julia's thighs; Steve knew that couldn't be good.

He cried once more, not of happiness anymore but of fear.

He wanted to be there with her. "I love you Julia," he whispered. He wanted to be by her side like he said he would, but he wasn't allowed.

A nurse pushed him back when he tried. "I need to be with her," he insisted, sounding louder than he intended.

"I'm sorry, Steve, but you can't be here," Rose said apologetically.

He was typically not like this; he was more laid back and a fun person to be around but not in this situation. The old Steve was coming back. He was getting ready to protest when from his peripheral vision, he saw the nurse that was with his daughter moving the little bassinet she was in.

"Wait, where are you taking her?" He rushed toward the nurse seeing that she was going to take her out of the room.

The nurse briefly stopped, "She's having trouble breathing."

The lungs are the last major organ to finish developing in a baby. The baby needed to be taken care of as she was born around week 38. She weighed close to 5 pounds.

She couldn't be considered a full term baby, but she wasn't a premature baby either. She was in the weird middle that still needed regular checkups making sure everything was good. Babies delivered at 37 weeks are four times more likely to end up in the neonatal intensive care unit or have serious respiratory troubles than babies born at 39 weeks or later. Babies who are born at 38 weeks are twice as likely to have complications.