034

Julia didn't know what day or time it was. It was dark outside, and she felt exhausted; to top it all off, she needed to use the restroom. It wasn't the best idea to drink the whole juice.

"How far is this place, man?" The five of them have been in the car for the last 25 minutes.

"Relax, we're almost there."

"Suzie must be pretty special, huh? I mean, if you built this thing and lugged it all the way to the middle of nowhere just to talk to her," Robin said from the back seat.

"I mean, nobody's scientifically perfect, but Suzie's about as close to being perfect as any human could possibly be," Dustin said with a small smile.

"She sounds made up to me. Does she sound made up to you," Erica asked the older teens in the front.

"No," responded Julia, slightly looking at Steve as he continued to drive. Steve shrugged as he looked back at her.

"Why are you hesitating, Steve?" Dustin asked defensively from the back between Robin and Erica.

"I'm not! I'm not! I think she sounds real. You know, totally, absolutely real," he said, holding the steering wheel with one hand.

Dustin pointed to the left and said, "Left. Turn left."

Steve quickly looked to the left and then to the front, "There's not a road here."

"Turn left now!" Dustin leaned closer, yelling near Steve's ear.

Steve roughly moved the steering wheel, the tires roughly hitting the field.

Steve placed his arm protectively on Julia as an extra seatbelt. "Hang on," Robin said from the back as Steve continued going up the hill. "We're not gonna make it."

"Yes, we are," responded Steve, stepping on the gas pedal.

The car didn't advance anymore; it was as far as it was going to take them.

They had to go on foot for the rest of the way.

Steve helped Julia get out of the car; they linked their arms together as they made their way up the steep hill.

Dustin was walking ahead of the group.

They were all faster than her because they weren't growing or carrying a child inside of them.

Her body was working on its own to create a human. It was taking all of her energy, making it harder for her to do simple tasks.

Since Dustin was the first one to get up the hill, he got in contact with Murray.  "Bald Eagle, I repeat, this is Scoops Troop, do you copy?"

"Yes, I copy." Even from the walkie-talkie, Julia could tell Murray sounded annoyed.

"Call sign? Please repeat."

"Bald Eagle."

"Copy that. Good to hear your voice, Bald Eagle. What's your 20," Dustin said with a grin.

"We reached the vent. I'll contact you when I need you. Until then, silence." "Roger that, Bald Eagle. This is Scoops Troop, going radio silent. 10-10, over."

They waited until Murray needed directions.

In the meantime, there was nothing to do. Julia took a few steps around the area while her hands were on her hips.

She worked on her breathing. The pain was tolerable. It hadn't gotten worse, which she was thankful for, but it was still there.

"Scoops Troop, this is Hm. Bald Eagle. I've reached another junction," Murray said after seven minutes of not hearing from him.