long live the King"

"My Queen, I love your children, all of them, Aegon, Helaena, Aemond and Daeron. It goes against all my morals to betray my good sister Rhaenyra, but I will not let them fall in harm's way, not if I may help it," Lady Rhea swore solemnly. "I was raised alongside them, they are my family, as much as they are yours. I will remain here, with you, in the Red Keep, I will keep your secret, but I will not tell my House to side with Aegon. This I cannot do. Should anyone decide to side with Rhaenyra and her claims, I will not order them to be put to the sword, and I hope your Grace doesn't either."

The Queen nodded.

"Very well. Will you stand behind Aegon as he is crowned?"

"If you wish me to, I will."

"Good."

Just as Rhea had forsaken all her morals to protect the man she loved, the man she was to wed, the doors sprung open and Aemond entered, a sorrowful look plastered on his face. He looked truly sad at the loss is father. He strode past his mother and right to his lady's side. His arms reached for her sides as he leaned closer to her, pulling her to him in a strong embrace. In all the years she had known him, she had never felt such an urge to be close to her come from him. She wrapped her arms around him, the words she swore to the Queen just moments ago echoing in her brain. The Queen watched as they stood embracing one another, a cheerless smile on her lips. In this instant, the Queen became aware of how much deeper their connexion was than she thought, not only had Rhea always been her son's friend, she was what kept him grounded, she was devoted to him completely, as he was to her. Aemond stepped away from his lady, still keeping an affectionate hand on her waist as he turned to face his mother.

"Ser Criston and I have found Aegon, mother." The prince stated.

"Good," his mother shuffled to leave them. "I will speak with him. In the meantime, Lady Rhea, I am counting on you. I trust you, do not forget it."

The two of them were left alone in the Queen's chambers. Rhea shifted her gaze to look into the prince's eye.

"How long have you been out, seeking your brother out?" Rhea asked, cupping his cheek. "Have you slept at all, tonight?"

Aemond grunted.

"I have not," he admitted. "I have looked for him all night, and for the better part of the day. "Tis now nightfall, and I have not had a minute of sleep since I woke by your side yesterday morning," Aemond sat on the chair next to him. Rhea's hand slid into his as she stood in front of him. He rested his forehead against her torso, his other hand sliding around her waist to keep her there.

"It seems like a lifetime ago," Aemond continued. "We have not had the chance to talk since-"

Rhea raised his sombre face with a caring touch, smiling wistfully at him.

"My love, I never meant for you to be trapped in a marriage you so clearly do not want," he began softly, avoiding her gaze.

Rhea smiled softly.

"It is all I ever wanted, Aemond," Rhea confessed. "I never agreed to it before because I...I did not want to hold you back, should you meet another woman, one more suited for you."

The prince looked into her eyes and his hand squeezed her side unconsciously.

"Rhea, there will never be someone more suited for me than you, and even if there was, I would not want them," Aemond admitted. "As soon as I turned sixteen, I knew I wanted to marry you."

Rhea smiled, chortling.

"What is it?" her prince inquired.

"I knew I wanted to be your wife the day I turned fourteen," she laughed lightly. Their namedays were not far apart in date, he was two years her senior. They both smiled as they realised they understood they loved each other the same year.