Marian Snow

Hiding behind a bush, Aemond and Rhea listened as Aegon and Marian argued loudly, the woman's voice teary and breaking more by the second. The King had his hands on her side, stroking them up and down as he appeared to try and comfort her. Rhea glanced at Aemond who had the same look as she did on his face, one of utter incomprehension. She wanted to spring up from behind the bush but Aemond stopped her, a firm hand on her arm. He shook his head and pointed his chin at them, telling her to keep listening for now.

"Marian, please," the King begged. "Stay."

The red-haired woman shook her head, her long auburn locks flowing as she did. She cradled the small bag filled with her belongings on her chest as a way to keep herself from flinging herself into the King's arms.

"I can't, it's not right, your Grace," she insisted on the last words, trying to put some distance between the two of them, both physical and psychological.

"Why leave now?" Aegon's voice broke and Rhea finally understood the situation, her mouth opening slightly.

"You know why, Aegon," Marian stated sadly, walking away from him a bit. "You are married, you have children. You are the King, and I..am only a bastard from the North. I serve your lady wife, and your sister-by-law."

Aegon embraced her sadly, resting his forehead on hers, his hands tight around her hips. He could not let her leave. He would not.

"I have made my decision, Aegon." Marian stated. "It is for the best, truly. You will forget about me and I will always remember our times together."

Aegon opened his mouth to speak but Marian ran off, trying to find the boat she was to get on.

Having had enough of simply standing there was, Rhea stood up from behind the bush she and Aemond were hiding behind and strode fast towards Marian and Aegon. She shouted at her Handmaiden to wait for her and Aegon turned to her, a look of utter surprise on his face. Aemond jogged to meet them, a tinge annoyed at his wife that she would run off like that, but amused at it as well. As Rhea looked closer, squinting at him, she realised Aegon had tears on his cheeks and his eyes were red. Her eyes went from his face to Marian's and her face was the same.

"What the actual fuck is happening here?" Rhea let out, annoyed.

The red-haired woman scooted closer to Aegon slightly and the King smiled sadly. They exchanged a look and she shook her head.

"I am saying goodbye, princess." Marian bowed her head.

"Marian, clearly you don't need to be as formal. Is this why you are leaving? A secret, adulterous relationship with the King?" Rhea raised her voice slightly, annoyed at the situation. "Aegon, really?"

Both of them looked at each other and Marian drew a deep breath.

"I know it is not right, which is why I am going back home. The King, Aegon, is married, to an exceptionally kind woman, might I add. What we did is terrible."

"I wouldn't go as far as terrible," Aemond said and Rhea glared at him a truly furious look.

"You had better not get any ideas, here, husband," Rhea threatened with her finger to the prince's chest.

She looked terrifying and Aemond took her finger in his hand, giving her palm a tender kiss.

"I wouldn't dream of it, princess," he started seductively. "I only meant it is clear they share a deep bond. Love is not a terrible thing."

Rhea softened under his touch. He was right, from what she had seen, Aegon was devastated at the thought of Marian leaving.

"I love you," Aegon implored as he took Marian's hand in his. "You. Not anyone else."

Marian's heart broke in her chest.

"I know," she cried. "Me too."

"Then why would you want to leave?" Aegon exclaimed painfully.

"Because-"

Rhea looked back and forth between them, Aegon was truly in pain, and although she hated the fact he would dare to cheat on Heleana, she was well aware it was not the first time he had done it. She had heard rumours about bastards fathered by the King for year, even when he was still a prince, but she never listened. She had always known Aegon and Helaena were stuck in a loveless marriage, a pact struck for duty, but still, this came as shock to her. She watched as Aegon begged her again, reminding her of their love, how it started a year ago when he was still a prince. How he had confided in her his doubts, his insecurities. He claimed he would never find something like that again, clutching her hands and trying his hardest not to let his tears fall from his eyes. Rhea felt heartbroken for her brother, and her heart broke further for the unsuspecting Queen.

"Because I am with child, Aegon," Marian finally admitted, crying as loud sobs escaped her mouth.

Aegon looked up at her. He looked enthralled, truly.

"Fuck," Rhea muttered. "Marian, you could have told me, I could have helped."

"Why would you leave, my love?" Aegon spoke softly.

"Because I am a bastard, and my unborn child will be too. I know what happens to your bastards, here. And I will not let that happen to mine."

Aegon turned from her, a shameful look on his face. He hated for Rhea and his brother to be witnesses to this sad spectacle.

"Your child will be cared for, here, I swear," the King promised. "I will find a way. Aemond and Rhea can pass it off as theirs, that way you might see the babe, care for him."

The prince and his princess looked at each other, reminded of their previous conversation.

"I will not let anyone care for my child, but me. As much as I love the princess, I would rather go back home," Marian refused, her red locks flowing as she shook her head again.

"Is there truly no way for you to stay, Marian?" Rhea asked as she took the woman's hand in hers.

The woman shook her head again, a tear rolling out of her green eyes. Aegon looked shattered, he truly did care for her, more than he had cared for any of his other mistresses. She had always piqued his interest, he thought she was beautiful and her strong, fiery temper was unlike anyone's in the Red Keep, unlike anyone he had ever met. She was from the North, and it showed, she was resilient and took shit from no one, not even the King. The way she had cared for his sister when she was stabbed only made him fall in love with her more, her attentiveness and love for the princess only made him fonder. He would give up the Crown, should she ask him, he thought. Aegon looked like a broken little boy, inconsolable.

"I will visit you, and when you have given birth, the babe," Aegon swore, kneeling in front of his mistress to give her belly a longing kiss.

Marian smiled sadly, she knew Aegon truly meant it, but he would certainly never visit her. Why would the King take frequent trips to the North when there is no need? No King had been there in years. She nonetheless nodded, a sad smile on her lips as she gave her King one last kiss. He clung onto her for a second before letting her go.

Rhea walked her former handmaiden and friend towards the boat, urging her to write often. She promised she would fly on dragonback when the babe would arrive. Marian promised to name her godmother, should anything happen to her, her child would be raised by a princess. An honour Rhea gracefully accepted, tears in her eyes as she bid goodbye to a true ally.

"I could never thank you enough, Marian. I will miss you", Rhea said, a tear rolling out of her eye.

Aegon had stayed back with his brother, looking from afar as his true love got on the boat and sailed away, far from him. Little did he know it would be the last time he laid eyes on her alive.