The Spider's Daughter chapter 16

Here's some more on your friendly neighborhood Spidergirl!

•••

Chapter 16

"When life hands you lemons, make grape juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it."

"What? Shawnee, you're crazy!" I said to the blue girl lying on my bed. She laughed.

"It's just something I read on the internet somewhere. It just crossed my mind."

"You're still crazy. Hey, has Kayla shown up at Xavier's yet?" Kayla was still MIA, and it was starting to itch at my mind. Where was she?

"No. The prof. can't seem to get a lock on her either, but he doesn't seem to care. Your mom still making you wear the black suit?" She motioned to the aforementioned suit, currently being worn by yours truly.

I sighed. "Yeah. I mean, I like it and all, but I miss my old suit."

"It's been over a month now. Where is she?"

I shrugged at my friend. "I wish I knew. It's starting to worry me. How can she just disappear off the face of the earth like that?"

We were interrupted by Mom, who stuck her head in the door. "Sorry, Shawnee. Pete wants May. Says there's some kind of bank robbery or something going on." She looked at me, and I did an exaggerated salute. "Earring, May."

"Oh! Right!" I rushed over to my desk, pulled out the radio earring, and stuck it in my ear. "Bye, Shawnee!"

"Bye, girlfriend!" She said, and disappeared with a pop.

I ran down the stairs shouting "Reporting for duty, Sir!"

Dad laughed. His suit clashed horribly with the peach walls, and I giggled a little. He nodded to the door, and I nodded back. A couple minutes later, we were swinging together over the streets of New York, laughing and having a blast. We stopped the bad guys, and swung off, looking for more trouble.

"Dad?" I asked him when we took a little break on the side of a building. "Can I ask you something?"

"You just did. Twice." I heard the smile in his voice.

"How did you beat Venom? You said you got help, but you never told me any more than that."

"Well... I guess I have to go back to the story about Harry. Remember where we were?"

I thought a minute. "Yeah. He tried to kill you, and you almost killed him."

"He survived, obviously, but he had some memory loss. We were best friends again. At least until he got his memory back. By that time, the alien symbiote had gotten to me. I was... Bad I guess. It made me act horribly. I attacked him. That's how his face was scarred." I pictured Uncle Harry's scarred face. His right eye was milky white and he couldn't see out of it. The whole right side of his face was mangled with scar tissue.

"You did that?"

Dad bowed hid head. "I'm not proud of what I did in that suit. But eventually, I got the symbiote to leave me. It attached to a man named Eddie Brock, who, unfortunately, knew I was Spiderman, and held a grudge against me. So, Venom teamed up with the Sandman. I couldn't take both. I was almost dead when Harry showed up. He had his glider, and his suit, and a full assortment of bombs. The New Goblin, thankfully, was on my side. Harry almost died that day. He took a blade for me. Your mom and I barely got him to a hospital in time to save him, and we were friends again, but he gave up being the Goblin. We did manage to defeat Venom, though, and the Sandman turned out not to be so bad. All he wanted was money to help his daughter." Dad stopped talking. The story was over.

"Well, next time I see Uncle Harry, I'll ask him to show me his glider."

Dad chuckled, then stopped abruptly. "May. Do you see that?" He pointed out over the horizon.

A living, fiery comet was streaking toward us.

"Oh, shoot."

The form streaked over the rooftops, headed strait toward us.

"Dad, you should go."

"What?!?"

"I'm the one with the fireproof suit. I won't get hurt. You will."

He growled, but did as I asked, ducking around behind the building. The fiery form sailed above the building, and hovered above us. A couple seconds later, the light went out.

"M- I mean, Spidergirl? You down there?"

"Johnny! It's you!" I said as I climbed up the wall. Johnny Storm stood in the center of the roof.

"Um... Yeah it's me. Who else would it be?" he asked as Dad climbed up behind him.

"Well, there's this psychotic mutant who can control fire. She's out to get me." I explained.

Dad laughed. "Hey, Johnny. How's that for a story?"

The Human Torch smiled. "Hey, Spidey. I just came around to tell you that Sue's organizing this big superhero party. Ironman is coming, some of the X-Men, and as far as we know, I am too." he said with a grin. "You guys want to come?"

Dad looked at me. I shrugged. "Sure, why not? Do we wear our costumes?"

"Yeah, unless you want people to know who you are. Which, I assume, you don't."

"You're right there. When is it?"

"Next Saturday. Baxter Building, seven PM. Can you come?"

"Next Saturday... Yeah, we should be able to make it. See you there." Dad said.

Johnny saluted, and took off, lighting up the dark sky.

"Well. I guess we're going to a party."

"Yup."

We jumped into the cool night air simultaneously, but we headed off in different directions. We'd fight alone the rest of the night, and meet up back at home. But alone or together, flying around on the webs was my life. And right now, I loved my life.

•••

Like? Don't like? Think I'm going crazy? Comment and vote?