The Spider's Daughter chapter 23

ummm... Enjoy!

•••

Chapter 23

"May," someone whispered in my ear. "time to get up."

I groaned and rolled over. Then I screamed.

"Jake! What the heck are you doing in my bed?!?"

"I've been here all night." he said with a smile.

I blinked, and last night came flooding back. "Oh." Kayla.

I felt more tears coming. I grabbed onto my boyfriend and held him close. My nose was jammed into his chest. Tears welled up in my throat, but I held them back. I breathed deeply. Jake's scent filled my mind. Wind, feathers, and the tiniest hint of sweat. I breathed again, taking him in.

"We should probably go get breakfast." I felt the rumble of his voice in my chest, and I sighed.

My eyes met his. Something burned, deep inside me. He deliberately moved his head forward, and I lifted mine to meet him. Out lips touched, and my door banged open.

"Breakfast, May." my dad said, and I sighed.

"Perfect timing, Dad."

"Yeah, well, no dad likes watching his little girl get kissed. Even if I wasn't actually watching."

Ah. Spider-sense. Hm. Seems it really could do anything.

Slowly, I pulled myself into a sitting position. I waved my hand at Dad.

"We're coming, you don't have to stand there. Your making me feel weird." I said with a smile. Dad rolled his eyes and stomped down the stairs.

I tried to lift myself off the bed, but my muscles felt jello-y. Jake sat up and held my shoulders. I leaned into him And heaved myself to my feet, with a little help.

A whiff of sulfur floated through the doorframe, and Shawnee walked through.

"Tell me, do you have to transport everywhere?" I asked my blue friend.

"I don't have to, but I like to!" she smiled, and walked to my other side. With her help, along with Jake's, I made it down the stairs and into the kitchen.

I slouched in my seat. Food didn't really sound good, but I ate anyways. And it did help. I felt strength returning with every bite.

Finally, we finished. I was allowed to get up from the table, and I immediately went to the bathroom to brush my teeth. After that, I headed up to my room to change.

Mom was waiting in the hall, ready to ambush me.

"Let's talk." she said, and led me into my room.

"May, Jake slept with you last night, and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. The only reason I allowed it was because you wouldn't let go of him. He was in a long sleeve shirt, so you didn't see it, but you left bruises, May. Big ones. Even your dad couldn't get you off."

I sat for a moment and absorbed the information. Mom kept taking.

"I know you didn't do anything last night, 'cause you were so tired, but as kind as Jake is, he's still a guy. You have to be careful-"

I cut her off. "Mom! Please don't give me the talk! I've heard it before, and I know what you're saying. I've promised not to until I'm married. I'm not about to break that promise. Jake'll understand, and if he doesn't, then he's not worth keeping." I smiled at her. "I'll be okay, Mom."

She gave a weak smile and hugged me. I hugged her back.

At about eleven, a plane roared overhead.