The Spider's Daughter chapter 21

Enjoy! ^.^

•••

Chapter 21

"Jake! Come on, give it back!" I shouted. Jake stood on the coffee table, holding one of my still wrapped presents high above the floor.

"Come on, May! Don't tell me you can't reach!"

"Okay, you asked for it!" I jumped, shot, and clung. I watched from the ceiling, holding my present, as Jake wobbled, his hands bound with a thin strand of webbing. Slowly, he tipped.

"Dad." I said, but my father was already there. Jake fell right into his arms.

"Jake, you know taunting May isn't a good idea." A smile twisted Dad's face. Jake rolled his eyes and struggled to his feet.

"Now, how do you get this off?" he asked, holding up his tied hands.

"Like this." I jumped down and ripped the webs off, using just a little bit of spider-strength.

We sat back down around the bright Christmas tree, and I opened the well-earned present. Jake and Shawnee watched as I peeled the paper away from the box.

"Shoes?"

Shawnee laughed, and Jake sighed. "Open it."

I did, and another box, this one a velvet jewelry box, was nestled inside. I looked at Jake, then pulled the box out. It was longer than it was wide, and covered in midnight blue velvet. I lifted the lid silently, and a sparkling gem winked back. It dangled from a thin gold chain, and was set in a gold spider. I lifted it gently from the box, and held it up to the light. The spider twisted around, and the little diamond sparkled.

"Jake." I breathed. "This is way too expensive! I can't take it!"

Jake smiled. "You can take it." He glanced over at his dad, then half covered his mouth with his hand and stage-whispered, "Rich dad bought it!"

I laughed, and Mr. Warrington grinned. "Jake, you know what I've told you about spending my money."

"Um, Dad? You told me I could buy it."

"Oh, that's right."

We all laughed, and I handed Jake my present. "It's not as expensive as yours, but I thought you'd like it."

He ripped the paper away, and a smirk slid onto his face. "Shoes?"

I laughed and punched him on the shoulder. "Open it!"

He did, and pulled out a bird. A white swan, with it's wings arched over it's back.

"Where did you get this?" he asked, turning it over in his hands, examining it from every angle.

"I didn't buy it, I made it."

"Out of what?" he asked, still exploring the feathers on it's back.

"Webs."

He gave me an amused look, and I smiled back. I gave Shawnee her present next. Her's was a lizard, the kind that seems to just disappear.

We all exchanged presents, then sat around talking. Jake and his dad let their wings out, and Dad and I had a conversation on the ceiling. Shawnee and her dad, Nightcrawler, popped in and out of the room. We were all laughing, and our guests stayed till well past midnight. Before they left, Jake asked to see me in private for a moment.

"May, um, I missed you." he said awkwardly.

I smiled nervously. "I missed you too."

We stood awkwardly for a moment, then Jake shuffled his feet. Slowly, he leaned forward. My breath sped up, and time slowed down. I closed my eyes, and his lips met mine.