Chapter 11: Stars as my Witness

Feather's tail lashed as she walked through the Forest on her silent paws. She could hear her friends walking and whispering behind her and she hated it. She growled under her breath.

Sage slipped under her friend's shoulder with a small, hopeful smile. Feather looked away and kept walking, though she didn't pull away.

"I'm sorry," Feather said after a minute.

"No, I'm sorry," Sage said, to which Feather frowned, preparing to protest.

Sage shook her head.

"Let me finish. You're right, we don't know what we're doing or how to defeat Pirate yet. We don't know what you've gone through to be here or what it feels like to have a couple of amateurs tell you that what you're doing is wrong."

Feather sighed.

"I shouldn't have gotten so mad. You're right, me being all of your shields isn't working out the way I wanted it to."

"Maybe we could all be each other's shield?" Sage asked hopefully.

Feather nodded. "Yeah. I'll try."

"Promise?" Sage asked.

"Promise," Feather replied.

"With the Stars as your witness?" Sage pressed.

Feather laughed.

"With the Stars as my witness," she repeated, putting her paw over her heart.

Thorn popped up beside Feather.

"Are you still angry with us?"

Feather yelped and bopped Thorn on the snout, earning a startled yelp in return.

"Ow!" Thorn complained, rubbing his snout.

"Sorry!" Feather yelped, apologizing profusely.

Sage giggled and Acorn rolled her eyes, Moss letting out a sigh of relief. They all caught up with Feather and walked shoulder to shoulder once more.

The Saviors had been Wandering aimlessly for a long while.

There was no sign of Viktor and Feather couldn't get her Navigator abilities to kick in if her life depended on it.

"Come on!" She growled at herself. "Work, you stupid piece of junk!"

She slammed her eyes shut, trying to force herself to Navigate. Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, it didn't work in the slightest.

She spun around, sighing with defeat.

"You guys? I think we're lost."

"You've got to be kidding me," Moss grumbled.

Sage's eyes turned that threatening shade of electric blue and grabbed Feather's forearm so hard that it bled. Feather flinched away so violently she was surprised she didn't fall over.

"WE'RE LOST?!" Sage screamed.

The Saviors all shushed Sage, looking around nervously.

But Sage wasn't planning on being quiet.

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME, FEATHER?! I THOUGHT YOU WERE A NAVIGATOR! WE CAN'T BE LOST! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE! I MIGHT JUST KILL YOU MYSELF! I TOLD YOU I DON'T LIKE THIS, FEATHER, AND YOU DIDN'T LISTEN TO ME AND NOW WE'RE LOST IN THE FOREST OF AGONY!" Sage ranted, tears pouring from her eyes as she let out terrified, choked sobs.

Feather grabbed her friend and pulled her into a hug. Acorn hugged Sage as well.

"It's all gonna be okay, pumpkin, Feather'll find us a way out of this," she cooed.