Epilogue

Birdie coughed ridiculously, each hack feeling as though her soul was being ripped out. Her limbs had blackened and she couldn't stand, let alone walk. She couldn't stomach anything, and her hearing was starting to fade. She had been sick for months now, and was now in the Healer's Lair permanently. I mean, she already was there permanently, but never as a patient. She felt helpless, just helpless.

Bandaid fussed over her, mixing a new medicine. She had been mixing medicines for Birdie for as long as she had been sick, and nothing was working. But she kept trying. Anything for her sister.

Petite walked into Birdie's room with a washcloth, placing it on her head. They had done everything they knew how, but they knew her time was soon.

The thing is, Birdie was completely healthy, never had any problems, had always been strong and fit, no preexisting conditions that they knew of, nothing at all. She just... Started deteriorating, out of the blue.

It was strange, utterly awful to watch, and seemed Evil, otherworldly. Like it was on purpose.

Birdie suddenly started hacking out coughs again, and Bandaid rushed into the room. What she saw horrified her and she shrieked, which summoned Petite, who flinched, biting back a cry.

Birdie was coughing up a mix of blood and black sludge, some of it coming out in chunks. She retched a particularly large and nasty chunk of sludge with a mix of pools of blood and then fell limp to the ground.

Petite started cleaning up the mess, saving some for studying. As she did so, tears welled in her eyes, she couldn't bare to look at Birdie, her fellow Healer, someone who she had worked with for years.

Bandaid rushed to her sister's side. She felt for a pulse, but there was nothing there. Tears welled up in her big, green eyes.

Birdie was dead. And nobody knew what killed her.