Chapter 19: Puzzles of Death

Thorn firmly grabbed Feather's shoulders with his paws.

"What did you just do?!"

"Either saved the Forest or ruined it! We'll find out!" Feather said, almost hysterically.

Acorn put a paw to her temples.

"Four Moons..."

Equity gave the others a judgy look.

"Well, personally, I know you'll take down that nasty ratfaced goblin! Did you see what you did to that Coyote yesterday? That was insane! You've got this in the bag."

Feather smiled warmly at her. "Thanks."

Thorn's tail lashed.

"I didn't say you couldn't win, I was just saying that wasn't the best choice of all time!" he said, throwing his head back

Equity growled at him, to which he returned the favor.

Feather rolled her eyes and walked beside Moss.

"Shall we go get the Orb of Preservation from that Cave of Wealth place? You didn't think I wouldn't have a backup plan, right?"

Moss gave her a relieved look.

Equity gave the Saviors a smug smile.

"Right this way, m'lady," she said with a head tilt.

She started trotting, Feather scampering after her, the others not far behind.

Equity led them through heaps of dangerous plants and patches of quicksand. Feather noticed the area growing closer to the Cave was much more dangerous, and much darker.

At last, they arrived at the Cave, it being carved directly into the side of a cliff, a large tree with pink leaves growing around it. There were bright blue vines Feather had never seen before, but she already knew not to touch them.

A group of Coyotes stood outside the Cave, muttering amongst each other. They chuckled and Equity roared with fury. Both her and Feather attacked like rabid hyenas.

Thorn copied Feather's every move, and he realized that using the Coyotes tactic against them worked relatively well in their favor.

"Do what Feather does, use the Coyote's strategy against them!" he called to the others.

They all nodded and started mimicking Feather's movements.

Equity shoved past the group of Coyotes and found an even larger group inside, Pirate had let go of their minds for the moment. They were trying to figure out the booby traps and how to get past them.

Equity knew, she knew very well.

"Hey! Get out of here and I might let you live," she snarled.

She heard screams of anguish outside the Cave and Equity turned to look, wishing she hadn't. More Coyotes surrounded her friends, who were attacking in a muddled unison.

The Coyotes in the Cave tried to pin her down, but she was too big, too strong. She snapped their necks in a swift movement, then charging into the battle outside.

Feather was slashing necks, twisting and turning to reach better angles for attack.

Equity admired her persistence, agility, and determination. The two of them were strong by themselves, but together, they were unstoppable.

Equity mimicked Feather, as the others were doing. They soon got the hang of Feather's fighting pattern and Coyotes were dropping dead around them.

Feather stopped in her tracks, her eyes fixed on a small Coyote, just a child.