Chapter 43: Finally Home

The Saviors flew over the Forest, just above it, so the leaves of the gorgeous, healthy, harmless trees brushed against their underbellies.

They talked for ages, the whole way back. About anything and everything. Sage, home, their adventure, their past, their hopes for the future, and just random thoughts.

"What do you call a fish with no eyes?" Equity asked with her unmistakable grin.

"Oh, Moons," Thorn groaned, lightly bonking his head on Feather's shoulder.

Feather laughed and nudged his head.

"I don't know, what?"

"A fsh," Equity said, wiggling her eyebrows.

Acorn snorted and shook her head. Moss threw his head in the air.

"That was the oldest joke I've ever heard," he said, groaning quietly. "C'mon, Equity, you can do better than that!"

Feather snort-laughed, and Thorn just shook his head.

"I can't believe this group of idiots saved the World," he mused lovingly.

Feather nuzzled his neck.

"Never forget you started this whole thing, king of the idiots," she cooed with a playful grin.

Thorn had given them the food he swiped before and they all enjoyed it to no end, and Feather had saved some for Squirrel. She was over the Moons to be able to see her again.

Thorn was a little nervous to go home, since he knew there wasn't anyone waiting for him.

But, he had his found family, he reminded himself. There was plenty of opportunities, and he had them, no matter what. They assured him of that.

Moss was anxious to finally see Pine again, he had missed her so.

Acorn was delighted to nearly be home, she was incredibly excited to see her family and friends. They wouldn't even believe where she had been.

Equity was coming with them, just because, but after they got settled, she was going back to live with the Guardians. She couldn't stand being parted with Frigid. But she promised that she'd visit all the time! I mean, she didn't have a choice, the rest of the Saviors would murder her if she didn't.

Feather giggled and spun in the air, the wind whipping through her fur. Thorn admired her, tracing over the scars on his face with his claws, a habit he had recently grown.

Feather grabbed his paws and kissed him between his eyes.

"Stop being cute," she said simply, flapping ahead of them, doing all kinds of wild acrobatics.

Thorn flushed and the others giggled and squealed to eachother.

"Shhhutup," Thorn mumbled, covering his face, flapping after Feather.

He was still clumsy, but at least there weren't any obstacles for him to smack into up here.

Acorn did a couple loops, and Moss flew above all of them, closing his wings for a moment before snapping them open and catching the air with them.

It made him feel magnificent, but it made his wings sore.

Equity cheered, pumping her wings. Their earrings all sparkled in the Sunlight, it was a beautiful day. They had flown with a flock of birds earlier, before the birds landed on their nesting site.

They were nearing Vermilion Mountain, Feather could see its peak in the distance.

"We're almost home," she breathed. Her pulse started quickening and she turned to her found family, who looked back at her, excited.