24. Get Better

Reader's POV

Today was terrible. First, I woke up late so I had to rush everything, then I had Eren yell at me for waking him up late because I woke him up according to my time because I only have a coffee while he has a full breakfast, then I had to find out that I'd be going to school with Isabel, Levi and Furlan (who isn't exactly a problem but the other two are), then, Zeke nearly spilled my secret and humiliated me in front of the beautiful Kuchel and then, I found out that either Armin or I had been given a wrong timetable.

"Armin, I'm telling you that Mr. Smith's class is in room 313," I tried to convince Armin.

"But my timetable says that Mr. Smith's class is in 303," Armin showed his timetable to me.

Right now, we were having a conversation about which classroom was the history classroom. Me, Eren and Armin all had history as our first class taught by Mr. Smith in different classrooms and I had no idea how that was possible. Zeke and Mikasa had already left for their classes.

"Eren, support me," I asked for Eren's support as he complied because the class number on his timetable matched mine.

"But Eren," Armin tried to explain, "This can't be a typo because all three numbers are different."

"Armin," I made a point, "How can Mr. Smith teach in two different classrooms at the same time?"

"I don't know! But there's a possibility-" Armin was cut off by me taking a hold of his arm and dragging him to room 313 for history as Eren lazily followed us.

I got in room 313, seconds before the bell rang to see a tall blond man, which I assumed would be Mr. Smith, writing something on the chalkboard before turning around and ushering us to the seats which were almost full.

I tried to get Armin to sit down but he got out of my grasp to talk directly to Mr. Smith.

"Uh...Sir," Armin stammered, "My timetable here says that Mr. Smith teaches history in room 205 at the same time. Has there been a mistake?"

"Hm? No. That class is taught by my father. Your timetable is perfectly fine. You just had a little misunderstanding with your friends there. I'll write you a note to show that you weren't late and just confused," Mr. Son Smith and not Mr. Father Smith grabbed an empty piece of paper from his desk and scribbled a little note on it before handing it to Armin before he left.

Oh, so that was my mistake.

Whatever. I'll just text him.

Or not. Armin doesn't answer texts between classes.

I guess I'll just see him at lunch.

"Your desks have a little note with your names written on them so please sit in your respective seats," Mr. Smith announced as I noticed that my and Eren's seats were in the back, our last name starting from 'y' and all.

I noticed that the seats only had 'Yeager' written on them and not the first names as Eren reached for the seat by the window, leaving me the seat next to him.

"No you don't," I stopped Eren, whispering.

"What?"

"I wanna sit there."

"Why?"

"Because I'm the main character and the main character always sits by the window. How do you expect me to live up to my name 'Light Yagami' if I don't sit by the window?"

"What? I thought that I was the main character."

"You're the main character of Attack On Titan, I'm the main character of this fanfiction."

"Oh, so I'm better than you because Attack On Titan in a masterpiece and this is just a fanfiction-"

"Do you want me to break your face?" I was seething.

"But I wanna sit here too," Eren argued.

"Do you want your sister to have a heat stroke in the summer if she's not sitting next to a window?"

"I don't care," Eren and I were still standing but whispering so no one heard as Mr. Smith flipped through the textbook, unbeknownst to what was happening in his classroom's back seats.

"You would've done it for Mikasa," I let a little bit of anger ooze off from the emotion bottle that I had kept tightened for so long, "Why not for your sister?"

"Wha? Where did that come from?"

"You tell me," I was pissed, at both myself and Eren, "You know that I'm more sensitive to heat than you and Mikasa is the toughest of us all but you'd do it for her and not me."

"Hold on," Eren stopped me from slumping into my own seat before letting me sit in the seat next to the window, "You can sit here but we'll discuss this later."

Shit. Why did I let that spill out?

I mentally cursed myself as Mr. Smith instructed us to open a certain page in the book as he started teaching from there.

I let the fact slip out that I was jealous. Jealous of my best friend because she got all of my older brother's attention and she was all he thought about. I know that it was pathetic to demand attention at this age but I couldn't really help it since he was the one who had the most similar interests as me. But I was still fine with it until I found out about Zeke's girlfriend about a year ago and stopped hanging out with me entirely until I implemented this rule that all siblings had to hang out with each other every day with the exception of maximum one day a week, if it was an emergency.

Don't get me wrong, I still ship EreMika and whatever Zeke has going on with that tall girlfriend of his but I felt lonely because they were moving on too quickly and I was being left behind. I had Mikasa and Armin but like Eren, Mikasa spent more time with him than anything else and Armin and I, as good friends as we were, didn't share many interests which made it difficult to hang out all the time.

I didn't want to be pathetic but I couldn't help but miss the times when the three of us were young and how we three would hang out with each other. It was nice when our friend group hung out together without any romantic feelings involved. It was even better when we sometimes had Zeke with us too, especially when we went to the park because we were too young to go alone.

I sighed, missing those times and wondering what the hell I would say to Eren and if he would tell Mikasa or not. Even if he did tell Mikasa, she wasn't the one to feel bad about it and instead, she'd try to include me more which I didn't like because I didn't want to be pitied or be a third wheel.

I didn't need it to go back to how it was, I just needed it to get better.

A/N = What do you call a titan that can't swim? Titanic.

November 6, 2022

- Heliaxa