56. Hangout

Reader's POV

"I will fight for you!" I said with confidence, ending my speech.

"Meh," Furlan evaluated my speech, "Be more firm."

"I'm trying," I sighed, "The speech itself is perfect because Floch wrote it but I just can't deliver it properly."

"I have to admit, the content of the speech is quite good," Furlan comfortably laid on my bed while I stood, practicing my speech, "But if you can't be as firm as you have to be to properly deliver the speech, you have to change it."

"Huh?"

"Um, how do I explain? Um, Floch wrote this speech perfectly. But it may not suit you."

"I still don't get it," I shook my head.

Furlan sat up to explain, "This speech is a firm one to be delivered with utmost confidence. It suits Floch himself because he has the sternness in his voice and can enhance it to be even more convincing. For you, however, this speech may not do it. It may be too firm. I'm not saying you can't be unyielding. All I'm saying is that it doesn't suit your talking style."

"...Okay?"

"So I suggest letting me modify it a bit for you so that it has all the important elements Floch wanted to include and only sounds as strong as it would suit you. How about it?"

"Thank you!" I rushed over to Furlan and hugged him, "You're the best!"

"It's nothing," Furlan shook his head and began scribbling on the notepad I gave him.

"Are you sure you should do this though?"

"A speech in the assembly hardly makes a difference to who wins between you and Levi. I don't mind doing this."

I nodded as I laid on my bed beside him, thinking about my plan to make Isabel use the pen with the disappearing ink. It had been a few months since it had arrived and exam season was coming up. After the exams, there would be an assembly for clubs so that the students who hadn't already joined one would be reminded of the options so they could be more active in school activities.

"Try this," Furlan handed me the notepad, "I'll fix it some more after I see you deliver it."

I got up and did as he said and to my surprise, it did sound much better.

"This is amazing," I smiled at him, "I'll memorize this."

"No. No. I still have to edit it. It should be perfect."

"Wait, no. It's amazing, really."

"Amazing doesn't equal perfect," He insisted, "I'll send you the final copy of the speech before exams start. Speaking of, how much have you prepared?"

"I study the night before," I sat down next to Furlan. "I did that on tests, at least. There are no exams in elementary."

"Is that enough preparation?"

"It is. If I do it earlier than that then I'll forget everything anyway."

"Is the night enough? When do you sleep on test days?"

"The night is enough. I sleep a little but not that much."

"Exams are much harder," Furlan warned, "If you cram the night before then you have to be prepared to study all night until morning and go to school."

"Zeke told me," I leaned my head on Furlan's shoulder, "I'll figure it out. Let's change the subject. I don't feel like talking about school after school. It's the weekend, after all."